PDA

View Full Version : just wax?

texaggie1
09-10-2001, 07:51 PM
Bear with me. I was raised in the 80`s on plain old carnuba. usually 26. I shied away from the "miraclewaxes" such as liquid glass etc. etc. Can anyone help me with why I should switch carts in midstream? And yes I am still p$^#%^%d that they outlawed lacquer.:confused:

SuperBee364
09-10-2001, 08:01 PM
I swear once you try it you`ll never look back. You should probably join a support group before you start as once you try it you will most certainly be addicted.

Zaino is like smoking, once you start it`s harder than heck to quit.;)

hook
09-10-2001, 08:22 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by banzaitoyota [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Can anyone help me with why I should switch carts in midstream? [/b]</blockquote>
Mainly, durability. Today`s synthetics can last much longer than any waxes. Plus, if you likethe depth a wax gives, just layer some Blitz or Souveran over Klasse and you`re set.

blue skies,
Andy

Ron Ketcham
09-10-2001, 08:33 PM
The carnuaba content is around 4 to 5% and the rest is pariffins, polyethelenes, polydimethalsiloxanes, etc.

You have been using most of what is in modern products, just less percentages.

I received a good part of my training from a son of one of the 3 brothers who took over Mequiar`s after Frank passed away.

Know a bit about their older formulas.

PS, shot lacquers from 1956 til 1985, took awhile to learn the high solids, but wouldn`t go back.

:eek:

texaggie1
09-10-2001, 08:48 PM
I was taught paint had to breathe, doesn`t the new sealant choke the paint

Ron Ketcham
09-10-2001, 09:00 PM
The "breathing" thing goes back to old high solvent/low solid materials which haven`t been used by the manufacturers since the late 70`s.

Has been being legislated out of use since the mid 80`s.

The material today is closer to "plastic". It is a polymer based material.

All the "breathing" was about was to allow the large amount of solvent to evaporate. The old paints faded, cracked, checked, died back, and were a real pain. The car care products back then were nothing but cheap waxes and lots of oils to create a "makeup"effect and clean the continually oxidizing paint film from the surface.

There are a lot of tech articles on www.autoint.com under the Magazines Articles section, not your "enthusists" type of stuff, but for trade journals.

Then under the Tech Tips Section, are tons of photos and text regarding the new materials, how it is applied by the vehicle manufacturers etc.

You might wish to take a look.

This paint stuff just keeps a changing, am 57 and shot my first vehicle when I was 7.

Learn something new everyday.

So, I will put up the "happy bounce" icon, since I am still kicking.

:bounce

rstype
09-10-2001, 10:04 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Nothing is wrong with a quality carnauba wax such as Pinnacle Paste Glaz. Good ones take about the same time to use as a quick detailer and provide a natural, subtle shine a synthetic cannot.

However, quality polymers such as Klasse can easily last 6-12 months. They provide a high-gloss shine and are easy to use.

Also, some of us here, use a synthetic like Klasse and finish it off with a carnauba.

Whatever you choose, have fun and enjoy detailing!

~bw

Cybercowboy
09-10-2001, 10:11 PM
Until I found there was much better stuff.

Look, try Klasse. Try Zaino. Either way, you will soon post --- What was I thinking!!!