PDA

View Full Version : Finesse it II application questions

corvettez
09-09-2001, 09:10 AM
What is the best way to apply FI II?, with a foam or MF or terry applicator when applying by hand? Should the applicator be damp? I`ve used 3M SMR before and the FI II appears to be similar in a lot of ways to include causing the black paint to haze and take on the brushed look I`ve posted about before. I wouldn`t think the clearcoat is that soft in my case as some of the Honda owners have talked about, maybe it is. Do I need to keep going with it in terms of the number of applications to achieve a better gloss before moving on to AIO\SG or am I missing something all together in terms of not having a technique down yet? The FI II seems to dry up quicker than the SMR as I`m working it and I don`t seem to have much time to work it into the paint before I have to buff it out, the car is cool and in the garage. Help!

imported_Brad
09-09-2001, 09:33 AM
Use a foam applicator. It will drastically reduce the chances of scratching the surface. It can cause hazing (a necessary evil toward a perfect surface.) which can easily be removed with a final step of Pinnacle Paint Cleansing lotion or similar. Be sure you are using back and forth motions and use PLENTY of FI on the applicator. Work in using firm pressure. Buff off as soon as the FI starts to thin out. No need to let dry on surface. Buff it off when still wet. It can take several passes depending upon damage level. A hi-speed buffer and wool pad can achieve more, faster but is best left for the experienced user.

corvettez
09-09-2001, 09:49 AM
Thanks Brad, I had been using a terry applicator thinking the surface of it would help the intended process but maybe I`m doing more harm than good with it. I had been using about a quarter size amont on the pad and working a small area with it in front to rear motions but I`ll make sure I`m using PLENTY and see how that works. Hard to tell sometimes how much of a product to use until you get to know it, I guess that`s why they call it experience. I have some PPCL so I`ll add that to mix and see what I get for results.

Don2000g
09-09-2001, 11:40 PM
Foam is generally best for most applications. Brad is also right on with the tip of the Pinnacle PCL use after the Finesse It 2. It should work wonders on this hazing problem that you`re experiencing. Use foam as well with the Pinnacle product. Laters.