PDA

View Full Version : SO, swirls are caused by buffers mainly, right??

fishboy
09-03-2001, 11:14 AM
I was just wondering b/c a detailer put many swirls in my clear. And now I trying to figure out if I need a buffer to take them out. OR can I just use some of the products you guys use(like Z5) and skip having to go back to a reputable detailer.

Lastly, does Zymol HD cleaner take out swirls as well as Z5, finesse II or perfect it??

ALM
09-03-2001, 11:57 AM
Swirls are caused by many different things. Improper washing techniques, sunlight, using poor grade towels on your paint, dirty applicator pads, and the list goes on and on. Yes, a buffer in the hands of a moron can deffinitly cause some major swirls, but a buffer is not the only thing that can cause them.

If the swirls are numerous enough and deep enough a buffer may be your only choice, but I would suggest trying with your hands first. You may wish to consider using 3M fine (or medium) cut rubbing compound for greater cutting power.

imported_Dude
09-03-2001, 01:55 PM
Swirls can be caused by SUNLIGHT? Are you serious?

I know that everyone says to wash in the shade, but I have always ignored this advice and wash in direct sunlight.

I always thought that sunlight was bad because it makes water dry too fast, leaving spots, and also makes waxes dry too fast, making them harder to buff out. I keep a close eye on my waxes, which prevents them from hazing too fast, and I rewet my car frequetly while washing, which prevents water spots. Therefore, I always thought that washing in the sun isn`t really dangerous if you take precautions.

Now you are telling me that SUNLIGHT causes SWIRLS? This is AWFUL! Please elablorate!

imported_Dude
09-03-2001, 02:00 PM
Swirls can be caused by SUNLIGHT? Are you serious?

I know that everyone says to wash in the shade, but I have always ignored this advice and wash in direct sunlight.

I always thought that sunlight was bad because it makes water dry too fast, leaving spots, and also makes waxes dry too fast, making them harder to buff out. I keep a close eye on my waxes, which prevents them from hazing too fast, and I rewet my car frequetly while washing, which prevents water spots. Therefore, I always thought that washing in the sun isn`t really dangerous if you take precautions.

Now you are telling me that SUNLIGHT causes SWIRLS? This is AWFUL! Please elablorate!

jvercellino
09-03-2001, 05:08 PM
I think he means sunlight causes the swirls to be more visible therby making it look worst. Most swirls are caused by you...if you never wash your car you probably will not get any swirls, thats if you can deal with having a dirty car, I think not:D

ALM
09-03-2001, 05:40 PM
Someone told me that sunlight helped to aid in the formation of swirls. Someone please correct me if im wrong.

As far as washing your car in direct sunlight, thats bad news in the making. Your paint should be cool when you wash it becuase the rapid heating and cooling is not good for your paint, body, and other components of your car.

JasonC8301
09-03-2001, 05:54 PM
will make most waxes dry to quickly and improper set-up/bonding to the paint. Then its a PIA to buff off. You`ll be buffing forever, well not forever, but it`ll be a good work out.

This extra buffing can cause swirls, marring of the paint, marring of the wax, etc. etc.

So swirls can be caused by sunlight.

As acc252 said, sunlight can make swirls appear from nowhere.

Jason

Don2000g
09-03-2001, 10:23 PM
Jason is right. It`s not the sunlight itself that will cause swirls. It`s the extra buffing that one does to remove waxes and sealants that have been used on warm or hot surfaces or in sunlight. By the way, most swirls, in my opinion, come during the washing stage. Laters.

andrew43
09-04-2001, 09:02 AM
I have to add that I *believe* that working on the car in the sun will help promote the formation of swirls because the paint surface gets hot and softer than usual, making it easier to lightly scratch (ie swirl). That is why I dont even like applying Zaino in the sun. I`ll wait an extra 1/2 hour or whatever and apply it and remove it in the shade.

Don2000g
09-04-2001, 04:47 PM
Very interesting. I wonder what DK would think of this. Laters.