PDA

View Full Version : UV Protection for Leather

YoSteve
08-28-2001, 10:36 PM
We all now that this is important.

We all now that UV will tear your car, and your leather apart.

I looked on the Lexol bottle and it doesn`t protect against UV.

Am I supposed to follow up with 303 (I assume it has some UV protection) or my favorite stuff.

Here`s the inspiration for this thread. Because I like Black Magic Dash protectant (no bad silicone), I am even more tempted to try their UV leather cleaner/conditioner. It supposedly contains "mink oil" to feed the leather or whatever. Most leather products contain an oil, but don`t have uv stuff. Ergo, I`m tempted. Also because it`s just a two in one. Maybe i`ll take the faith plunge and let my car be another working experiment.

Anyone try it. I think i`m going to smell it first, maybe put some on my arm before buying it. I`ll be sure to post what`s up. (i`m going to bring up charges to Black Magic, if anything happens :) )

DETAILKING
08-29-2001, 08:56 AM
BTW...zaino Z10 leather conditioner has UV blockers in it as well.

alpine
08-29-2001, 09:32 AM
I used 303 on my black leather seats and I can say I am not happy at all with the outcome. For the first weeek after they looked really great, now the seats have this chalky look to them. No matter how much I buff them the stuff won`t come off. I am going to redo the seats with Lexol cleaner and see if it removes it.

I really like what the 303 does on plastic but I will not use it on my leather seats again.

I will try to take a picture to show you what I am talking about.

touhy
08-29-2001, 09:35 AM
Doesn`t automotive glass have UV blockers built in now? I thought the hazard to interior surfaces was more the heat

DETAILKING
08-29-2001, 09:40 AM
I used 303 on my BMW interior with great results. I did notice that on the arm rest (where my arm rests...hehe)....it turns a whitish color on the black that does not wipe off. I don`t know if this is something with the leatherette reacting with my skin oils or something with the 303. That spot (arm rest) is the only spot where I noticed this "chaukyness."

alpine
08-29-2001, 09:57 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DETAILKING [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I used 303 on my BMW interior with great results. I did notice that on the arm rest (where my arm rests...hehe)....it turns a whitish color on the black that does not wipe off. I don`t know if this is something with the leatherette reacting with my skin oils or something with the 303. That spot (arm rest) is the only spot where I noticed this "chaukyness." [/b]</blockquote>
Mine was on the seat bottoms in the rear and no one had been sitting back there since I used it.

YoSteve
08-29-2001, 10:57 AM
Good point Barry, but some dashboards get torn up due to UV damage (and that`s what i`m worried about on my leather)

Turbonator
08-29-2001, 11:15 AM
Hey Steve, how often are you applying a protectant or cleaner or conditioner to your leather seats?

YoSteve
08-29-2001, 12:46 PM
I`m in leather limbo, because i`m so indecisive because of the many conflicting theories. If you look at the pics on my site, the leather looks great. And that is due to the three applications of Lexol Conditioner (in the 19 months that i`ve owned my car). I haven`t cleaned because it`s black any people are required to clean themselves before entering my car :D

But the leather looks great and healthy, and it`s due to the Lexol. I`m due for another treating before winter, but I`m torn on weather or not try the Black Magic Leather stuff. Maybe I`ll try it on one seat, see if it`s too shiny (cause Lexol is shiny/greasy for 3 days so initall reaction to Black Magic may not be good either) (not sure if that answered your question)

Don2000g
08-29-2001, 10:18 PM
You should still clean your leather seats though. It doesn`t matter that they`re black and people rarely if ever sit on the back ones. Do it!

YoSteve
08-29-2001, 10:53 PM
Don, make me!!! :D

I have wiped them down with a wet towel, but I`m going to get the Black Magic Cleaner/Conditioner stuff so I won`t have to :)

Don`t worry, I won`t recommend the product till I see that it`s cool.