PDA

View Full Version : Wash mitts, Viking vs. detailers choice-->

Pages : [1] 2

DETAILKING
08-24-2001, 02:39 PM
I recently purchased a wash mitt from TARGET. It was white, claimed to be 100% cotton (chenelle), and looked exactly like the Viking ones that I have used in the past. People have said that the ones in target ARE, in fact the viking ones.

Well, I was very dissappointed with this mitt. It was very thin, and had a foam backing. When it was wet, the cotton did not even cover all the backing material and I was afraid of scratching. Also the seams were exposed on one side and were very rough. I ended up tossing it in the garbage and buying a wool one from TARGET that has been ok so far.

I was so upset I emailed Viking and asked them why they changed their design. Here is the reply I got-------->

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It`s not easy to tell our mitts from the competition, but we do have some

>important differences. The mitts at Target are made by the same company as

>Detailer`s Choice - just under Target`s Baja Sol private label.

> Viking mitts never have an exposed seam; we sew our mitts inside out, then

>turn them so the stitching will not be able to scratch your car. It`s an

>extra labor step, but we think it`s worth it. We also do not use a foam

>backing. Some people prefer the feel of the foam, but we use a much

>thicker

>and more durable liner than the foam. Also, we use 3 rows of chenille

>stitching for every 2 of the Detailer`s Choice mitts.

> Detailer`s Choice / Baja Sol does not offer a 100% cotton mitt. Theirs is

>a blend of polyester and rayon. We offer both a 100% cotton version and a

>blended product; most of our retail partners sell the blended because it is

>cheaper than the cotton version. Our 100% cotton mitt has been approved by

>Cotton Inc and bears the seal of cotton logo, so you can be sure of what

>you

>are getting. If it does not have the seal of cotton, then it`s a blended

>mitt.

>Both the blended product and the 100% cotton products are very soft and

>safe

>for your clear coat. Some people just prefer the extra security of knowing

>their mitt is 100% cotton. I`ve used both dry across the surface of a

>blank

>CD as advocated by some on Autopia and found the blended product to leave

>slightly more light scratches. Used wet and rinsed frequently, neither

>product will harm your clear coat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I guess that one at target is not the quality viking one that I was used to using. I will be getting some of the REAL cotton ones very soon and will post a full review after a few washes....

DETAILKING

Don2000g
08-25-2001, 01:10 AM
Where are you going to get a 100% cotton Viking chenille mitt at? Just curious as I might be interested in trying one myself. Thanks and laters.

YoSteve
08-25-2001, 03:42 AM
Don I saw the viking cheneille mitts at AutoZone.

DETAILKING
08-25-2001, 10:10 AM
eom

Don2000g
08-25-2001, 03:07 PM
I`m somewhat surprised that Autozone carries 100% cotton chenille mitss. I just assumed that they would only carry a cotton/polyester blend.

DETAILKING
09-04-2001, 02:55 PM
I tried out the 100% cotton (look for the stamp) wash mit by viking. All I can say is WHAT A MIT compared to the one I purchased from target and was very disappointed with. The viking mitt has much denser cotton strands, no exposed stitching, and a very durable backing material (not cheap foam).

I washed my BMW with it this weekend, and was very happy with the results. The mit holds plenty of water and suds and does not "thin" out when wet. I was highly confident the mit was catching all the dirt and not grinding it into my paint. Thumbs up on this mit. Look for it at autozone.

eldon
09-05-2001, 09:34 AM
O`Reilly auto parts also carries the 100% cotton Viking mits. Something like $2 and change. They are a nice mit.

offcenter
10-29-2001, 08:59 PM
Well, I went to Autozone and found the mitt marked Viking. It had the cheap foam inside and looked no better than the Detailers Choice Mitt I currently use. Must have been the blended version, it`s all they had:confused:

boywonder
11-06-2001, 05:32 PM
I just bought a Viking Chenille Mitt and mine did not have a foam backing but it did have a nice rubber liner on the inside and was soft as the dickens. In short, I love it! :D

JonB
11-09-2001, 03:10 PM
Has anyone tried the Chenille Mitt`s from CMA? They are a little bit pricey, but are supposed to be 100% cotton. I have the Detailer`s choice one and it`s "OK" but I was looking for a better one....

H

Glozz
12-12-2001, 06:52 PM
can you please provide a URL link to the Autozone website? I`ve looked at it and can`t find the mitts...

Must be brain farting again :D

vettefan67
12-12-2001, 10:41 PM
Jazzy: Autozone on the west coast doesn`t have them. Look for them at Kragens.

Glozz
12-13-2001, 01:44 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by puterbum [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Jazzy: Autozone on the west coast doesn`t have them. Look for them at Kragens. [/b]</blockquote>
Found them at Shuck`s last night. I bought three of them. Out the door price including tax was $4.03

Very nice quality as well. :D

vettefan67
12-13-2001, 02:12 PM
Cool, jazzy.:up I forgot to mention that Kragen, Schucks, and Checker`s are the same basic chain.

DETAILKING
12-13-2001, 03:02 PM
Grab them up while they have them!