PDA

View Full Version : Conventional Paint

Clean Dean
08-23-2001, 10:35 PM
Here is a question... especially for Ron K. or Brad B. (how about you Detailking)... I must admit that I don`t have detailing experience with older classic cars, even though I love them to death. I had a 1964 Buick Skylark convertible when I was about 20 years old, but I didn`t even know what detailing was then...

My question is ????

I am going to be detailing a 1932 P/U Truck

The owner said that the paint is in very good condition (We have all heard that before!!!)

My question?

What products would you use for minor oxidation, cleaning, and protection.

I will obviously not take on this job if paint is neglected and high speed compounding is involved !!! ( Way beyond my realm of expertise ...for now).

Michael H
08-23-2001, 10:40 PM
I have seen a non-clear coat car done with Mothers Reflections Polish - looked superb. Klasse All in One is also very good on non-clear paints.

Ron Ketcham
08-24-2001, 06:32 AM
1932, ask him if it has be refinished at anytime and then look closely to see if he really knows.

What color is it, does it show any gloss at all at this point, several questions need to be answered before I would offer any advice on this one.

If original is nitrocellouse lacquer, if re painted, alkaloid enamel if done before the late 60`s.

After that may be acrylic enamel or acrylic lacquer, all react differently to various techniques and produccs. :cool:

Brad B
08-24-2001, 07:42 AM
I must assume that the vehicle must have been repainted at some time. Not many cars have the same 70 year old paint on them. You need to determine what is on the car.

You first need to determine if it`s clearcoat. That`s easy. Then determine what the level of gloss is. Does it have swirls that need removing? Can that be done with abrasives or is the paint too thin? Feel the surface. Need clay?

You really have to look at these and many other factors before proceeding.

Clean Dean
08-24-2001, 08:38 PM
I`ll quiz the owner this week and let you know the results, and I`ll take some pics! ( As long as the owner agrees....usually do) !

Thanks Again...