PDA

View Full Version : Construction headaches

Pages : [1] 2

boywonder
08-10-2001, 02:46 PM
I was wondering if anyone else here has any major construction projects in their neck of the woods. Also, I was wondering if anyone has any expressways that perpetually stay under construction.

imported_Brad
08-11-2001, 07:58 PM
Just spent half tha day pulling tar and gravel out of my cars. I`m to ticked off to even discuss it!

nerdhunters
08-12-2001, 08:20 PM
I live in Houston where the construction never stops! I suppose it`s good that the roads are keeping up with the traffic demands, but this place is constantly under major construction.

larryvb
08-12-2001, 09:23 PM
I have been living in Columbus for a little more than 3.5 years and there have been orange barrels (I think that it is the new state symbol of Ohio) around the city. I don`t know what is worst, the delays, or the junk that I have to wash off of my car all of the time.

boywonder
08-14-2001, 11:34 AM
Chicago seems to be a city with 2 seasons, winter and construction. As I mentioned in one of my other posts, 3/4 of my route to work is under construction. The major project in these parts is removing the Hillside Strangler (where Interstates 290, 88, and 294 connect as well as Illinois Route 38). Another major project is I-94 south of 95th St. They are replacing the bridge deck on I-94 at 103rd. Then when you go to Northern Indiana, I-80 literally stays under construction.

DaGonz
08-17-2001, 08:02 AM
There are sewer, drain and water main replacement projects going on in my area. It`s hard to keep my vehicles clean while this is going on. I have been going a few miles out of my way to avoid the construction...it drives the wife bonkers when I do that, but then I use the analogy "how would you like it if you just finished cleaning the house and I came in wearing filthy clothes, muddy shoes and just plopped myself down in the family room...I feel the same way about driving through the dust after I finish cleaning the cars!"

andrew43
08-17-2001, 01:13 PM
Hey PrinzII, where in Chicagoland are you? Im in the NW burbs (Palatine) currently but close on a house in Hoffman Estates next month. I think it is time for a Zaino party! :)

boywonder
08-19-2001, 08:43 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Yell00ITR [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Hey PrinzII, where in Chicagoland are you? Im in the NW burbs (Palatine) currently but close on a house in Hoffman Estates next month. I think it is time for a Zaino party! :) [/b]</blockquote>
I am on the South Side of Chicago (approx another 20 minutes south of Comiskey Park). Ironically, I used to work in Hoffman Estates (Ameritech) and was in Schaumburg with a few other Maximas.

Let me know what`s up with the Zaino Party.

boywonder
08-19-2001, 08:45 AM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Gonzo0903 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>There are sewer, drain and water main replacement projects going on in my area. It`s hard to keep my vehicles clean while this is going on. I have been going a few miles out of my way to avoid the construction...it drives the wife bonkers when I do that, but then I use the analogy "how would you like it if you just finished cleaning the house and I came in wearing filthy clothes, muddy shoes and just plopped myself down in the family room...I feel the same way about driving through the dust after I finish cleaning the cars!" [/b]</blockquote>
UGH!!! Don`t even let me start on the street level projects in Chicago. The worst in that regard won`t be completed until 2002 (Upper and Lower Wacker Drive).

boywonder
09-14-2001, 09:56 AM
....and the construction continues.

Bobby G
09-14-2001, 10:03 AM
I recently lived through 7 months of Hell on the Pacific Coast Highway (CA) while Santa Monica replaced a mile of sewer. What as a 15 minute morning commute turned into 45-60 minutes.

That`s it... I quit!!! From now on I`m working from home.

:D

boywonder
09-14-2001, 11:43 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DavidB [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I recently lived through 7 months of Hell on the Pacific Coast Highway (CA) while Santa Monica replaced a mile of sewer. What as a 15 minute morning commute turned into 45-60 minutes.

That`s it... I quit!!! From now on I`m working from home.

:D [/b]</blockquote>
I am still dealing with 127th St and I-294 being under construction. Normally, it takes me 25 min to get to work, but now it takes 45 min

YoSteve
09-22-2001, 04:27 AM
some of the posts exactly mimic my constructin driving woes

I drove from cleveland to houston this past week (driving back tomorrow) and the construction is terrible. It started in Columbus where all those freaking orange barrels on the polaris exit made something as simple as getting gas last forever. Then when we got off the exit the on back on the freeway ramp was closed by some cops (can they even do that?)and the traffic was terrible.

From little rock to houston there was on and off construction every other mile (about 20 sets of this) It sucked too. It even sucks that you have to slow down during construction even if there are now workers (at night).

Finally, I used to live across the street from Comisky Park. The Dan Ryan will never be done!!!! there`s got to be a better way, and when we get done with construction, traffic needs to be fixed. Last time I was in chicago I was honked at everytime I used my turnsignal :)

boywonder
09-23-2001, 11:57 AM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by YoSteve.Com [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>some of the posts exactly mimic my constructin driving woes

I drove from cleveland to houston this past week (driving back tomorrow) and the construction is terrible. It started in Columbus where all those freaking orange barrels on the polaris exit made something as simple as getting gas last forever. Then when we got off the exit the on back on the freeway ramp was closed by some cops (can they even do that?)and the traffic was terrible.

From little rock to houston there was on and off construction every other mile (about 20 sets of this) It sucked too. It even sucks that you have to slow down during construction even if there are now workers (at night).

Finally, I used to live across the street from Comisky Park. The Dan Ryan will never be done!!!! there`s got to be a better way, and when we get done with construction, traffic needs to be fixed. Last time I was in chicago I was honked at everytime I used my turnsignal :) [/b]</blockquote>
We have a new one to add to the list. They are redoing Lake Shore Drive from 23rd to 67th St. :mad:

YoSteve
09-24-2001, 09:41 PM
PrinzII, that blows :)

they also need to work on that the stevenson only has 1 lane to go west !!!