PDA

View Full Version : Wheel restoration

rstype
07-31-2001, 11:57 PM
I have this old set of silver wheels (original `92 325i) and a friend of mine wants `em. However, the cap that covers the bolts and lugs is yellow-ish and the rest of the wheel is fading. Even when scrubbed, the front wheels are still darker than the rears.

Is there a way I can restore these aluminum wheels? Btw, Finesse-It 2 does nothing to it.

~bw

rstype
08-01-2001, 11:08 AM
Anyone else??? Your comments are really appreciated.

JasonC8301
08-01-2001, 11:12 AM
They are not clear coated right? If not, try a metal polish, never dull and Mothers Mag+Al polish come to mind. A rotary buffer rented from a power tool rental store may help make better results with some jewelers rouge, lambs wool to cut and then foam to finish. Klasse AIO + SG to protect and shine.

Its just a suggestion,

Jason

rstype
08-01-2001, 11:15 AM
Thanks Jason. I`ve heard Nevr-Dull is simply mineral spirits (paint thinner) on cotton wadding. Should I try this before the Mother`s Mag polish? Also, did you fix the wheels on the `92 Camry yet?

Anyways, thanks a lot.

~bw

P.S. I`ve tried Mother`s Clearcoated wheel polish and it doesn`t do anything...

JasonC8301
08-01-2001, 11:23 AM
Your Welcome BW, I have never tried NEvrDull of Mother Mag polish before. I have used brasso, but its to fine to be using on wheels. I would just skip to Mothers Mag polish since it readily available at chain stores.

I did not fix the Camry`s rims yet. Probably this weekend. Take out the PC, wool pad, and terry pad. Clean with Ef Hi intesnity front and back and clay the wheel, Finesse It II with lambs wool pad and then Klasse AIO with terry pad, and if I`m still standing/sitting a coat or two of SG. Then apply Vinylex to the tires front and back. Maybe some cheap armor all to the wheel wells.

I`ll be sure to post at least some pictures, not quality pictures, but like the ones I posted before. I don`t have access to a high res. camera right now.

Nayhow good luck with your wheels, I`ll have fun with these.

Jason