PDA

View Full Version : how swirl marks develops?

superstar2k
07-31-2001, 01:59 PM
can someone tell me how swirl marks develops?? i mean i just bought this new car and it has light swirl marks........what causes it? how come it appears so fast?

hook
07-31-2001, 02:08 PM
Hard to tell how they happened, but swirl marks are nothing more than minor scratches in a circular pattern.

Possible causes:

- abrasive cleaning item (mitt, towel, etc)

- abrasive drying cloth/material

- overly enthusiastic use of a buffer, or bad use of a buffer. Or bad product choice.

- abrasive cleaner or wax application/removal

You say your car is brand new, it should be fairly easy remove minor swirls. I`d try a paint cleanser or cleaner wax on a spot to see if that fixed it, and if not, read the threads and articles here to move gradually to more aggressive products.

I highly recommend removing them now, then protecting that nice new paint with something durable - Klasse or Zaino come to mind. You might also find that the first steps in the Klasse or Zaino treatment will fix the swirls for you anyway....

blue skies, and welcome to the forum!

andy

Aut0
07-31-2001, 02:19 PM
I thought they were lots of scrtches in all directions. that when the light hits them you only see them in a circular pattern

tonysandiego
07-31-2001, 02:26 PM
The reflection of light that you see is the various scratches that have been created by any of the above methods in both a circular and cris-cross motion. The key to getting rid of them is to always use <strong class=`bbc`>CLEAN[/b] wash mitts, towels, etc. and to always go in a front to back motion only. I always think of wiping in the direction that the wind blows over the car. Start with the most mild products like Pinacle Cleansing Lotion and work your way up to things like Finess-It II or Wizards Finish Cut.