PDA

View Full Version : just what is a Microfiber towel??

alpine
07-26-2001, 03:22 PM
Is it similar to a chamois or a regular towel?? Does it work like a chamois were you just wring it out when it gets full of water and keep drying the car or do you need to dry the car with multiple ones, replacing the wet ones with dry ones??

rmccall6
07-26-2001, 03:26 PM
Its an alternative to a cotton towel...and what a alternative it is. Is is a man made material that will absorb and pick up much more water and dust than a cotton towel. For more info, check out the detailing tips on this page.

YoSteve
07-26-2001, 04:44 PM
ironically polyamide fibers and polyester fibers alone aren`t really absorbent but put them together and wow (they are magic) the good quality ones have a thicker nap to them (for drying) and many prefer a not so thick nap on glass, etc.

I think they look like synthetic cotton terry cloths but once you pick one up you feel the difference.

Don2000g
07-27-2001, 12:13 AM
Microfiber towels are absolutely wonderful. I`m probably one of the biggest fans of these wonderful products, arguably the biggest. Anyway, the best microfiber towel out there right now is the Miracle Towel. A bit pricey, but it still remains the only towel I`ll use for quick detailing. HenryK is right on. Many people here like to begin with a Water Bandit, Abosorber, P21 drying towel and then finish up with a microfiber towel.

On a similar note, I received 5 of the large Charisma towels that are on sale for $5.50 each. Not a bad towel at all. Very thick and soft. However, even after washing 2 times, they still leave an awful amount of lint on car`s when used for drying. And its the annoying type of lint. It`s not the dry type that will easily fly away with the wind. It seems to be wet lint that is matted down and is difficult to remove. I have to go over the areas with a microfiber towel and a quick detailer to clean the mess. I`ll try to wash them one or two times more and maybe those annoying lint problems will go away. If not, I`ll just give them away. But no way would I replace microfiber with cotton. I was just curious as I had not used cotton for anything in a few years. Laters.

old_gonzo
07-29-2001, 03:49 PM
on those Charisma towels, Don. I had been thinking about them myself after several positive posts from other users, but now I will wait to see what you have to say about the lint issue.

ISLANDSBEST
07-29-2001, 06:55 PM
I use the Charismas for various uses on the paint, but what is amazing to me about the MF towels is the incredible job they do on windows -- and WITHOUT any cleaner (if the towels do not have something odd on them), just distilled water. This gets around the problem of film from window cleaners, which is often worse than the original problem you were trying to clean up.

Don2000g
07-30-2001, 01:49 AM
Absolutely, the Miracle Towels are great for windows. No cleaner needed.

Bob Post
07-30-2001, 06:27 AM
have lots of uses, but for me I use `em for windows and QD.

Cotton towels are still #1 for drying and removing wax, but that`s just my opinion. MF`s cost a little cash though, and normally you want quite a few as one does not seem to be enough for all the jobs you want to use `em for. Pick up a good, thick, quality towel and see if you like `em, most people do.