PDA

View Full Version : Washing Techniques?

adjulian
07-16-2001, 03:04 PM
I have experienced swirl marks for myself on my black 2000 Focus Sony Edition and don`t want that to happen with my titan silver BMW. I am leaning towards using a chenille wash mitt. The question is how do you wash; using a straight up and down motion; start from only one spot, etc. Thanks.

Allan

rmccall6
07-16-2001, 03:33 PM
Preform a search for "What car wash should I buy for my new Acura TL type S? " and check out my tips a few posts down (its long). I would use light pressure, back to front with a chenille -Brad

adjulian
07-16-2001, 03:44 PM
eom

ALM
07-16-2001, 04:16 PM
Try using the two bucket method. Fill one bucket with car wash and the other with plain water. After a few passes with your mitt on your car, rinse it in the pure water bucket to remove any dirt particles b4 dipping back in the car wash bucket.

As far as technique, start from top to bottom rubbing back and fourth. If your lower panels are dirty wash them with a separate wash mitt.

I use a imitation sheepskin mitt and it works great.

Greek Guy
07-16-2001, 04:23 PM
I use two buckets and wash from the roof down. Using a seperate chenille wash mitt for the wheels and tires. Always use a quality car wash. Wal-Mart carries Zymol and also Meguiars Gold Class. Pinnacle is also a very good car wash.

YoSteve
07-16-2001, 10:08 PM
There`s a big difference from going from a black car to a silver one. You will find it very easy to avoid swirl marks if you`re careful.

Brad B
07-17-2001, 09:00 AM
I always have running water going over the surface as you are applying the mitt. I run the mit one direction, one time. The water acts as lubrication for the mitt.

Don2000g
07-17-2001, 11:34 AM
Showoff! Definitely the best idea on how to wash. Running water and 1 direction and 1 pass is the best.

I recently got a sheepskin washmitt from Tim. I`m not sure if its imitation or not but its roughly $18 or so. At any rate, I absolutely love it. I`ve used it twice and am sold on it for now. This coupled with the Pinnacle wash (only 1/2 and oz.) was very impressive. My car was dirtier than it had ever been as I took a little trip into good old Mexico. So for now, I`m a big fan of chenille and sheepskin washmitts. Laters.

hook
07-17-2001, 12:37 PM
I saw washmits I`d not seen before at wal-mart the other day. Turtlewax brand, they claim to be genuine lambs wool. Not too expensive, $7-8 if I recall.

Comments, anyone? I`ve been using a big fuzzy synthetic mitt, and love it, but I`m going to the two-mitt technique (one for upper and one for lower panels, wheels already get my hand in an old cotton/poly footie).

re,

Andy

tom p.
07-17-2001, 02:31 PM
not a lot of $$. I bought one a while ago and have used it a few times. Does it scratch less? That`s hard to say. It is very soft but the liner is real dense and doesn`t pass much water thru which I don`t like.

Also, after it has been washed and air-dried, the liner gets very rigid which I don`t like.

It is made by the "California" people that mfg. the California water blade. I think it was around $12.

I will say this in its defense, it has not deteriorated at all and does not get caught behind moldings like many of the other mitts. That I do like!