PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Lexus

firebird
09-27-2014, 09:58 AM
So far just plan to wash, clay, finishing polish, sealant.
This car has a clear bra on the tip of the hood actually covering about 1/4 of the hood. Is this bra ok to hit with product or should I avoid this area?
I also hear the paint is soft on Lexus. Is it? The unofficial color is beige.

52split
09-27-2014, 10:50 AM
I have XPEL Ultimate on my MB and I polished with Optimum Hyper Polish and white pad and coated with CQUARTZ UK.

firebird
09-27-2014, 11:38 AM
I have XPEL Ultimate on my MB and I polished with Optimum Hyper Polish and white pad and coated with CQUARTZ UK.
So to clarify 52split, you are calling the bra the MB? And saying that you used product on it? Thanks!

Stokdgs
09-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Firebird -

Most Lexus paint I have done is medium hard, but not soft at all like BMW Jet Black... Easy to correct...
I have even used a purple foam wool pad and Meguiars 105 on a Black Lexus that had been severely scratched and with Meguiars 205 on a White Foam Pad, it came out beautifully clear and glossy... I need to learn how to post pics so I can show you that, sometime.

Yes, you can polish any clear bra with a light compound, being gentle until you see how it reacts, and it may correct just a bit better..

Certainly, it will be a lot cleaner/clearer when lightly polished, and if not too old and damaged, it can definitely look much better.

Just remember, its plastic and will not dissipate heat from the friction of polishing it very good, so you have to be gentle and careful...

I also love Optimum Hyper-Polish for so many reasons, and it would be a great product as well as many others to use on that clear bra..

Just remember, Optimum Hyper Polish does not break down completely and will keep correcting as long as you are doing it... It does, however, always finish down beautifully clear on corrected paint..

On the edges of the clear bra that are the long piece on the hood part, be sure to be careful that you dont get a lot of product under that edge where it lays on the paintwork, or you will have to figure out how to get the product out..

If its a big thick clearbra edge and it looks like it could trap stuff underneath it, I sometimes will lay a strip of 1/8" or 1/4" automotive painters tape the entire length of that edge so for sure I wont get something trapped underneath it..

Always try to work from the front of the clearbra on the front of the car Back towards that long edge on the hood, so you are not pushing product in towards that edge that could potentially get trapped underneath that edge, if possible..

There are available a lot of brushes that have semi stiff, softer bristles that can get under that edge and help remove product if you get some under there..

Chances are, it came with stuff stuck already under there if it was waxed, etc., with not a lot of care... The same brushes can be used at the wash stage to carefully wash underneath..

They are usually a small, wide brush with bristles that are cut off at least halfway...

Good luck !
Dan F

firebird
09-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Firebird -

Most Lexus paint I have done is medium hard, but not soft at all like BMW Jet Black... Easy to correct...
I have even used a purple foam wool pad and Meguiars 105 on a Black Lexus that had been severely scratched and with Meguiars 205 on a White Foam Pad, it came out beautifully clear and glossy... I need to learn how to post pics so I can show you that, sometime.

Yes, you can polish any clear bra with a light compound, being gentle until you see how it reacts, and it may correct just a bit better..

Certainly, it will be a lot cleaner/clearer when lightly polished, and if not too old and damaged, it can definitely look much better.

Just remember, its plastic and will not dissipate heat from the friction of polishing it very good, so you have to be gentle and careful...

I also love Optimum Hyper-Polish for so many reasons, and it would be a great product as well as many others to use on that clear bra..

Just remember, Optimum Hyper Polish does not break down completely and will keep correcting as long as you are doing it... It does, however, always finish down beautifully clear on corrected paint..

On the edges of the clear bra that are the long piece on the hood part, be sure to be careful that you dont get a lot of product under that edge where it lays on the paintwork, or you will have to figure out how to get the product out..

If its a big thick clearbra edge and it looks like it could trap stuff underneath it, I sometimes will lay a strip of 1/8" or 1/4" automotive painters tape the entire length of that edge so for sure I wont get something trapped underneath it..

Always try to work from the front of the clearbra on the front of the car Back towards that long edge on the hood, so you are not pushing product in towards that edge that could potentially get trapped underneath that edge, if possible..

There are available a lot of brushes that have semi stiff, softer bristles that can get under that edge and help remove product if you get some under there..

Chances are, it came with stuff stuck already under there if it was waxed, etc., with not a lot of care... The same brushes can be used at the wash stage to carefully wash underneath..

They are usually a small, wide brush with bristles that are cut off at least halfway...

Good luck !
Dan F
Thanks Dan for taking the time to answer. I was curious like you mentioned about how to avoid getting product in the edge. I will use my PC7424 but was hoping it didn`t need much correction. I wanted to just wash, clay and polish with BFEP or if it needs some slight correction use BF SRC Finishing Polish. Otherwise I just have Megs 205. I have D300 compound and BFSRC compound but was hoping not to compound. I was hoping not to have to buy more products. t`s been well taken care of but I didn`t see it lately in the daylight.

As far as thin wool pads, it gets caked up with product. I`ve been rinsing it off with water, spin dry and re-use right away. Is that ok? Seems to be!
Thanks again.

cmichael258
09-28-2014, 09:36 AM
So to clarify 52split, you are calling the bra the MB? And saying that you used product on it? Thanks!

I think the MB is Mercedes Benz

52split
09-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Yeah, sorry for the confusion. I had the XPEL Ultimate Clear Bra installed on my front bumper, side mirrors, and 1/4 of my front hood. I used the aforementioned product and tools to correct it. Hyper Polish has certain areas where it excels in, and clear bras are one in my opinion (and painted wheels).