PDA

View Full Version : new to me car paint coating

miatapaul
09-26-2014, 02:24 PM
OK I am shopping for a new to me car, and the front runner is a 95 Miata with 60,000 miles. It is single stage black. I really don`t like black cars, but it is in such good shape, and with used cars you can`t get your first choice. The second one is a Metallic Blue/Green 1996 2 stage Miata with 45,000 miles. I am also moving someplace that I will not be able to do much washing/waxing and car will be out side most of the summer but garaged for the winter. I expect it to see some autocross events. I want to try one of the new paint coatings for protection and lower maintenance. I know it is key to get the paint in really good shape, that will not be the issue, I am wondering what is the easiest to apply and good longevity paint coating? I am thinking the Opti Gloss Coat sounds like it has the easiest application with long lasting finish. Does that seem true? I have been out of the detailing world for a few years due to circumstances beyond my control(new house). I have experience mainly with the Klasse twins and have had no issues with applying them. But these semi permanent coatings do scare me a bit as far as proper application goes. I definitely want a longer lasting product than Klasse, though I did like the gloss. I am more interested in longevity than absolute shine.

52split
09-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Cquartz uk

RaysWay
09-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Easiest to apply? While giving you ~2 years of protection? Hands down the spray coatings from Pinnacle Black Label or Detailers Pro Series.

Stokdgs
09-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Optimum Opti-Gloss just came out and claims 2 years of protection..

CQuartz UK came out a while back and also claims 2 years protection..

I do not know personally, if either of the above have been applied to anyone`s paint 2+ years ago, to be able to verify the claimed protection time..

The only coating I know of that has been out and on vehicles for more than 2 years is Optimum Pro, and Optimum 2.0..

I personally have Optimum Opti-Guard - 1 coat - ( the original name of the Pro product) on my Black Grand Cherokee for over 3 years and it is not even showing it is going to come off or weakening anywhere on the vehicle..

I have not had to do anything to my Black Grand Cherokee in these previous years other than wash it occasionally, dry it, sometimes put a Quick Detailer over it for something to do, and that`s it...

The Pro version of Optimum is extremely expensive even to certified installers like myself, so this may not be a very good option, with the other above coating names coming in much less..

The key to any of the above working good, looking stunning, and staying that way, will be the overall health of the paintwork, and the skill and experience level available to perfect and clean, and then apply the coating correctly...

You would want really good lighting as a minimum to be able to see what you are doing when applying any of these products, and a really clean inside spot that you can close up to keep as much airborne dirt, etc., off the wet coating, so it can dry and later cure as clean as possible before introducing it to the outside elements..

Good luck with your research and project !
Dan F

tropicsteve
09-26-2014, 04:48 PM
One application of Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating can last up to three years! Easy to apply, but Prevent exposure to water or weather for 24 hours after application.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/pinnacle-paint-coating.html#.VCXe_8Z0yUl)

ShaneB
09-26-2014, 05:52 PM
I found detailers paint coating quite easy to apply. That`s the extent of my experience with coatings so far. Hopefully this weekend I`ll actually get to apply the cquartz UK I have