PDA

View Full Version : Wax and Protect New Rims and Tires before installation??

atlantarange
09-10-2014, 02:54 PM
Hello all.. I purchased some new rims and tires for my Range Rover. Just wanted to know what I could do to maybe wax and protect them before installing? Figured I might as well, do something to them while I have them off. What regimen and products should I use?

wdmaccord
09-10-2014, 04:10 PM
give `em a quick once-over with some clay, then seal them with a metal sealant or even Collinite 845 or 476.

I take my wheels off at least once a year and do the following:

1) clean/remove iron (sonax full effect or DUB wheel cleaner)
2) remove tar spots (TarX)
3) clay
4) Blackfire All Metal Sealant or Collinite 845

You shouldn`t need to do the first 2 steps if they are brand new and never been on the road. You could maybe give them a quick dawn wash before claying, just to clean off any surface dust or dirt.

My 2 cents.

JVD
09-10-2014, 04:43 PM
I would put a wheel specific coating(Car Pro or GTechniq) personally.

You have the benefit of having them off the car still. Do it right!

tedj101
09-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Hello all.. I purchased some new rims and tires for my Range Rover. Just wanted to know what I could do to maybe wax and protect them before installing? Figured I might as well, do something to them while I have them off. What regimen and products should I use?

I have traditionally cleaned and sealed my wheels before putting them on the car. Then once a year I do it again. The difference in my wheels and tires (and the difference in the amount of work that I do to keep them clean) is amazing over time.

On my latest car, I cleaned my wheels and coated them with PBL Surface Coating (a coating specifically made for use on wheels, among other things). Since it has about a 2 year life, I will only have to redo them every two years.

FWIW, my coated wheels aren`t really any easier to maintain than my sealed ones - though that may be a function of the sealant that I have been using on wheels: Zaino CS. I didn`t choose it for that purpose, I just had some left over when I switched to a new sealant and decided to use that on my wheels. It`s worked out great!

Ronkh
09-10-2014, 04:55 PM
I never do the barrels ::::putting on asbestos undies::::

It may impair the adhesion of wheel weights, and I ain`t gonna chance that.

atlantarange
09-11-2014, 10:44 AM
couple of questions.. what exactly does the wheel sealant do and once it starts to wear off, is it noticeable on the rims? Also, when you say "clay" the rims are you referring to the blue clay bar used to clay the body of the car? Im still new, so just wanting to make sure before I screw up something. lol.

Angus
09-11-2014, 10:48 AM

Excellent point, Ronkh! I wouldn`t have thought of that as a possibility.

PA DETAILER
09-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Yea really. Never did my barrels either. But being they are new, now would be a perfect time to seal the wheels. My choice? DP WHEEL COAT.

Pats300zx
09-11-2014, 01:39 PM

Good call Ron. I never even thought of that :bigups

Zelfiris
09-11-2014, 01:57 PM
http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/auto-detailing-101/45423-how-repair-curb-rashes-restore-shine-forged-rims-volks-gt-f.html

trashmanssd
09-11-2014, 02:07 PM

What you don`t trust the "highly trained" tech :rofl to use 90% IPA to wipe down before hand like he should be doing.

Ronkh
09-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Excellent point, Ronkh! I wouldn`t have thought of that as a possibility.

:D