PDA

View Full Version : can you ever polish plastic 100% clear?....

miker2012
07-22-2014, 01:08 PM
can plastic be polished perfectly to remove any and all little light spider webs?

i notice on my plastic headlight covers and the speedo gauge pod on my car, tiny light spider webs scratches, very hard to see from a distance but certainly noticeable to the trained eye

i know there has been a million threads on headlight and plastic restoration and i don`t want to get into that discussion

i guess my question is, when you are done polishing plastic does it ever look 100% with no spider webs?

if you have light spider webs, do you need to go to a finer cut or a more aggressive one to remove?

thanks

Beemerboy
07-22-2014, 01:20 PM
It`s possible to get near perfect clearness with plastics..wet sanding reducing the grit, polishing reducing the grit in the polish..It`s an art in some cases but achievable

miker2012
07-22-2014, 01:25 PM
It`s possible to get near perfect clearness with plastics..wet sanding reducing the grit, polishing reducing the grit in the polish..It`s an art in some cases but achievable

thats what i was thinking.... not worth it to wetsand my headlights yet as they are not old enough to need that kind of treatment

was hoping i could remove it with light polish and pads... again the swirls are very minor

thanks

wdmaccord
07-22-2014, 01:35 PM
I don`t really notice any swirls on my plastics, but I do notice a great improvement of "clarity" when I clay and light polish my headlights every 6 months. The only thing I ever notice is the pits from road debris, but that`s just something I have to live with on a DD.

The Driver
07-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Hand polish, green or white pad an some sf4000 or ff3000 should work perfect for what your describing.

RTexasF
07-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Yes it is possible but it also depends on the plastic(s) and where they are located. A large taillight cover accessible with a small machine polisher can be taken to perfection or damn near. A plastic speedometer/radio/tachometer/etc. cover located within a shroud that must be done by hand (and behind the steering wheel) that is barely accessible? Best of luck. Sometimes one must settle for pretty good or "I`d best leave that alone". Your call.