PDA

View Full Version : What is the purpose of a QD?

Pages : [1] 2

basswood
07-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Did not want to hijack nixma`s recent thread.

What is a qd actually good for? Can`t use it on a dirty car. Can`t use it on a somewhat dirty car. Shouldn`t use it on even a dusty car.

Possible use could be as a clay lubricant but soapy water will do that for a LOT less money.

If your car already has an lsp, why do you need to "enhance the gloss" with a qd?

Help me understand what I am missing about the worth of this marketing scheme.

Best regards,
Tom

Tesla Tacket
07-19-2014, 10:43 PM
It`s good on a clean car for things like finger prints. Good for clay lube and doesn`t require a rinse afterwards. I use for door jambs. But I feel you on its limited use. I`m switching all my QD duties over to UWW+ here shortly.

miker2012
07-19-2014, 10:46 PM
well i think in a perfect world, we wouldn`t need qd`s

but at least in my world, i use qd`s all the time when i need a lubricant to do a little cleaning but i would never use it to do anything other then spot cleaning nor would i expect if i had to use it to remove dirt or dust that there wouldn`t perhaps be a little light marring left behind

RMD
07-19-2014, 10:53 PM
I like to use QD as a drying aid to wipe down car after bucket wash. I do use spray wax products for this, particularly DG aqua wax, but don`t want to use it every wash. In between, I use QD. DG 921(?) and prima slick are awesome. The wipe down helps where I live because it is hot and dry, and it`s hard to avoid ending up with some minor water spots after a bucket wash because the car dries so fast.

Stokdgs
07-19-2014, 10:58 PM
Hey, Tom !

In the old days before all these young whippersnappers were born, Quick Detailers were used for careful spot cleaning, and sometimes, after the car was washed, to add a little Pop to the shine...

And as you have already surmised, they really should not be used on dirty, etc., paintwork, unless you are wanting to risk adding some scratches, defects, into your beautiful Jaggy-U-Are Black Paint.. :)

Then sometime later, a few people came out with Q/D`s that had some extra things in them that were supposed to Pop and Protect the paintwork a little better, and some were and are pretty good at that, and compliment the LSP even, but again, better used on just-washed paintwork if possible..

I think perhaps on Interior paintwork, that is never going to see the kind of crap that falls from the sky on the outside, a Q/D could belp get that paintwork looking great..

And finally, a lot of Detailers including myself use something like these products to keep pads and products slightly moist during correcting or polishing, to prolong the product, keep the pad and paintwork from getting too hot, and lastly, avoiding that Dreaded Dusting!!! :)

Good luck !
Dan F

RaysWay
07-20-2014, 12:23 AM
Did not want to hijack nixma`s recent thread.

What is a qd actually good for? Can`t use it on a dirty car. Can`t use it on a somewhat dirty car. Shouldn`t use it on even a dusty car.

QD`s are great for a lot of things. They`re great as a drying aid. They`re great for removing light dust (sure not a dirty car or dusty car, but light dust is ok). They`re great as a portable "detail in a bottle", to give your ride a just detailed look with a quick wipe down.

The first time I used a quick detailer was at a local car show at a community college. I detailed my car the night before and was confident my 02 Pontiac Firebird would turn some heads. My confidence quickly diminished when I opened the trunk and noticed water spots in the hatch jambs, the finger prints my passenger left on my t-tops, and the bugs on my bumper. I looked around and noticed everyone in my car club had already pulled out a MF towel and were wiping their cars down. Luckily someone let me use their Meguiars QD, and I was introduced to quick detailers. QD`s are great for a lot of things. Sure in the last few years new products have come out that are more versatile, but I don`t think that makes QD`s completely useless.

Possible use could be as a clay lubricant but soapy water will do that for a LOT less money.

True, but a QD is just a clay lube alternative. Not a cost effective alternative, but an alternative nonetheless. I don`t see that as a negative point for Quick Detailers, I see that as a positive point. But I`m a "the glass is technically completely full" kinda guy.

If your car already has an lsp, why do you need to "enhance the gloss" with a qd?

Help me understand what I am missing about the worth of this marketing scheme.

Best regards,
Tom

Why do girls go to the bathroom to touch up their makeup when they already have makeup on? Why do I rinse my cup before I fill it with ice water every night?

I think the best way to get a fresh waxed look on a car, is to wax it. Quick Detailer`s can be used as a shortcut so you can get that freshly detailed look, quickly. Unless your car is stored in a perfect vacuum (which isn`t possible, but that`s a completely different topic) it`s going to be interacting with billions and billions of atoms and molecules in the air. We can`t see everything that`s happening with our naked eyes, but on the molecular level; there`s a lot happening.

Call me crazy, but if a judge is going to inspect my car I`d want it to look as glossy as possible. And I think my car looks better immediately after being wiped down with a quick detailer.

silverfox
07-20-2014, 03:27 AM
I think QDs are best utilized as a post-wash drying aid-gloss enhancer as most QDs look better in my opinion than a waterless wash product in terms of "pop", and for those that are always striving to squeeze that little extra pop, QDs will always have a place.

Having said that, some WW products are blurring the lines in terms of pop, particularly products like the Pinnacle product that contains carnuba wax. Then there`s UWW which has sent many QD products to the dusty shelves.

WaxAddict
07-20-2014, 08:36 AM
It`s all been covered nicely, but I`ll add Spit Shine after a wax and panel wipe while polishing.

Ronkh
07-20-2014, 12:16 PM
What is the purpose of a QD?

It serves a few purposes

shine/gloss
remove dust/fingerprints
drying aid
remove $$$$ from my wallet

The Driver
07-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Gloss enhancement
Slicker surface, less chance of contaminants bonding
Definitely more reflective
Uv protection
Some have hydrophobic properties to help water bead off, other can help refresh existing protection.

Personally I stay away from most qd`s because I have a coating and don`t want to effect the natural properties of the coating itself. Bottom line unless your rocking sv crystal rock I`d say any qd is fine.

WaxAddict
07-20-2014, 12:31 PM
remove $$$$ from my wallet

:rofl like so many items on my shelf! Wife thinks I`m hoarding.

The Driver
07-20-2014, 12:32 PM
:rofl like so many items on my shelf! Wife thinks I`m hoarding.

Who isn`t :D

Ronkh
07-20-2014, 12:52 PM
I`m a hydrophob
I`m a hoarder
I`m a hydrophobic hoarder

basswood
07-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Why do I rinse my cup before I fill it with ice water every night?

... it`s going to be interacting with billions and billions of atoms and molecules in the air. We can`t see everything that`s happening with our naked eyes, but on the molecular level; there`s a lot happening.

Huh?

May I assume that you work for PBMG?

Best,
Tom

btw, see my next thread. :)

Bunky
07-21-2014, 07:03 AM
It is a great way to say you want your ride to look its best when used regularly.