PDA

View Full Version : Favorite color for new car?

CarGlow
05-31-2004, 11:14 PM
If you were to puchase a new car, from a detailer`s standpoint, which color would you get?

maecrispy
05-31-2004, 11:21 PM
If your technique is good and you love detailing work, nothing looks as good as a freshly detailed black car, IMHO. :)

However, if you`re like me and love detailing work but don`t necessarily have a lot of free time, a metallic silver might be a better choice. Silver doesn`t typically have much pop but metallic flakes can give it some life and it really hides dirt/swirls/light scratches very well.

Really, there is no best color, IMHO. If you love detailing and you have the time, any color is great as you`ll spend time and effort in making it look it`s best.

Beemerboy
06-01-2004, 09:37 AM
darker colors are great when clean but show every thing and require a lot more work.

I tend t lean more towards the ligter colors for cars now. This is my Murano and this color has been easy to keep clean and does not show the swrils ior dirt that much

ashsarna
06-01-2004, 09:42 AM
I have both a black and a silver metallic colored cars. I truely love the black when clean. However, I agree with Beemerboy, a lighter color would be best (easier to maintain and hide the eventual swirls, dirt ect).

CarGlow
06-01-2004, 07:08 PM
I`ve seen a similar post on another forum and the majority vote was for silver.

Personally I`ve never been a fan of silver because it`s more difficult to make "pop" than darker colors, but now I`m actually considering a "lunar mist" (silver) Toyota.

maecrispy
06-01-2004, 08:24 PM
I posted this pic in another thread but here`s my Silver TL. I really wanted to get NBP but really, knowing myself, I would spend an inordinate amount of time trying to keep it scratch and swirl free. With silver, as long as you choose a very clear glaze and topper, you can make it pop (somewhat.) I don`t fool myself that my silver is as nice as the NBP I was considering but I still get a lot of complliments on my car and it makes me happy. :-p

CarGlow
06-01-2004, 08:31 PM
maecrispy,

1) What`s NBP?

2) Which "clear" combo did you use in that picture? It looks great!

shotime
06-01-2004, 08:37 PM
I`ve got silver, white, and red. My daily driver is silver. I like silver the best because after detailing all day, I really don`t feel like doing mine at night.

maecrispy
06-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by CarGlow
maecrispy,

1) What`s NBP?

2) Which "clear" combo did you use in that picture? It looks great!

Sorry, I just assumed that everybody`s an Acura expert. :-p

NBP is Nighthawk Black Pearl. It`s balck with very dark blue metallic flakes. Very nice looking with carnauba`s on top or Wolfgang sealant (about as carnauba like as a sealant gets nowadays.)

I prepped the car with clay and 1ZMP. Then I glazed with VM and topped with EX-P x2. Glad you liked it. :)

perry
06-02-2004, 12:03 AM
My current car is teal. When I get it really cleaned up and lookin it`s best, I still feel like something is missing. The reflections and depth to the shine are great, but I think a different color would be better.

Black has the best look when cleaned up, but also has the worst look when neglected even for a little while, IMHO. I`m thinking of trying either a gray or dark blue for my next car. Seems like either would provide a nice compromise between looking good when clean, and not looking terrible when neglected.

overtheedge
06-02-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by CarGlow
If you were to puchase a new car, from a detailer`s standpoint, which color would you get?

RED!!

http://www.powercln.com/DSC00001.jpg

Ryan
06-02-2004, 02:28 PM
Mineral Grey Clear - Dodge Magnum Hemi 2005

http://mysite.verizon.net/RyanBoyce/rear2.jpg

Bob
06-02-2004, 02:43 PM
WHITE!

I own a black car now and I am so dang picky I spend more time taking care of my car than driving it. Then when I do drive it and it gets dirty i get ticked off about it. My next car will NOTbe black or a dark color. Even though a dark color looks the best when shined up. :D

CarGlow
06-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Think I`m leaning towards Silver, but still undecided.

zesty-man
06-03-2004, 03:16 AM
hmmm, heres the thoughts of a young boy that has never owned his own car before... anyways, silver looks really really sharp when its well maintained (you should see ranney`s wife`s silver civic!), however, on the flip side, it looks ugly when its faded, as my dad would say. i guess your the type that wouldnt let your paint be neglected, so silver is a great color for you IMO. ditto for white

however, two colors that i really like are red and blue. however, aristotle believed in moderation. i feel blue and red are in moderation (maybe a bit over). theyre not too dark, but not too light (ex. black/yellow). on top of that, they both really sharp when detailed. im not sure if youre the type that wants to show off your car on the road, but if so, i would say that blue and red would be a pretty safe bet. i was considering all of this, because im also looking for a car, used, mind you. black is VERY nice, but hey, nearly no one is perfect. my dad has a black el camino and its a ***** to maintain. on the flip side, my neighbor has a red eclipse, which i would pick anyday. im not the type to spend 8 hours every weekend to my car (hey, im a teenager, i got my priorities too!!!). also, one of my aunties has a sizziling hot blue saturn, with suicide doors. in the end, i would recommend blue, but thats only my opinion...

edit: forgot to add, it also matters on what kinda car youre gonna get. if youre gettin a rolls royce/bentley, i would recommend you go with a more conservative color.... my friend has a dark red rolls royce (his family owns FOUR rolls royces), and its very nice, but id much rather see it in black......... yea, and the same thing goes with the hybrids. i dont think a hybrid would look very hot in red............................