PDA

View Full Version : Wheel wells...what to do, what to do?

Pages : [1] 2

basswood
07-11-2014, 08:03 PM
I`m sure that the answer is out there but I can`t find it.

The texture of the frau`s RX350 and my Jag`s wheel wells is "furry." The daughter`s Tahoe wheel wells are smooth plastic.

I`ll assume (ohhh, there`s trouble) that OPC at 3:1 or stronger to clean either would not be an issue.

What would you suggest to dress the wheel wells after cleaning? Different dressing for smooth and furry or one size fits all? (trouble again...one size fits all)

Thank you for what you do and thank you for sharing your expertise so freely.

Best regards,
Tom

The Driver
07-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Personally, 3 options for wheel wells.

1. CG Bare bones cost effective.
2. Carpro perls - nice, but finicky
3. Carpro dlux - expensive, lasts forever.

As far as furry wheel wells, I think it`s felt. They cannot be dressed but... they can be thoroughly cleaned/drained. OPC is ok for exterior but personally 1/10 of 1z W99 will blow anything out of the water. W99 will strip almost any lsp or cheap tire dressing right off, sometimes with out agitation.

My process for wheels & wells...
1. Sonax wheel cleaner plus rim
2. W99 1/10 Tire
3. W99 1/10 wheel well
4. Brush if needed
5. Powerwasher
6. Masterblaster

Apply Carpro Dlux, never redye again!

KillaCam
07-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Personally, 3 options for wheel wells.

1. CG Bare bones cost effective.
2. Carpro perls - nice, but finicky
3. Carpro dlux - expensive, lasts forever.

As far as furry wheel wells, I think it`s felt. They cannot be dressed but... they can be thoroughly cleaned/drained. OPC is ok for exterior but personally 1/10 of 1z W99 will blow anything out of the water. W99 will strip almost any lsp or cheap tire dressing right off, sometimes with out agitation.

My process for wheels & wells...
1. Sonax wheel cleaner plus rim
2. W99 1/10 Tire
3. W99 1/10 wheel well
4. Brush if needed
5. Powerwasher
6. Masterblaster

Apply Carpro Dlux, never redye again!

1z W99 is a pretty weak degreaser on tires in my opinion.
I like cleaning wheel wells with with LA totally awesome and dress them with Meg`s all season dressing. Another option is hydro2 after cleaning them. Not sure if it can be used on felt.

Reddwarf
07-11-2014, 09:43 PM
For cleaning the wheel wells, I like to use Amazing Roll Off. It works! Then I use CG Bare Bones for the dressing. I tried Giots undercarriage but personally, I prefer the CGBB.

Tesla Tacket
07-11-2014, 09:48 PM
I too use LATA on wheel wells. I have felt liners and give them a quick spray of Meg`s a Hyper Dressing at 3:1 and MAYBE makes a difference, I dunno. I 2nd Hydro2 for wheels.

The Driver
07-11-2014, 10:33 PM
1z W99 is a pretty weak degreaser on tires in my opinion.
I like cleaning wheel wells with with LA totally awesome and dress them with Meg`s all season dressing. Another option is hydro2 after cleaning them. Not sure if it can be used on felt.

It`s the strongest, safe apc I`ve used. I`ve used stronger but they colored plastics, metals an other surfaces. 1:5 the stuff cleans amazing, I`ve used it on over 100 cars with great success. What ratio where you using?

KillaCam
07-11-2014, 11:11 PM
It`s the strongest, safe apc I`ve used. I`ve used stronger but they colored plastics, metals an other surfaces. 1:5 the stuff cleans amazing, I`ve used it on over 100 cars with great success. What ratio where you using?

It`s a good safe cleaner, but most cars require a little more bite if they haven`t been kept up. I used it 4:1 on tires and wasn`t very impressed. My other degreaser pulled out much more dirt and grime.

RTexasF
07-12-2014, 07:52 AM
Amazing Roll Off followed up with Stoner`s More Shine for the hard plastic. Roll Off and rinse well for the furry one, no dressing.

Ronkh
07-12-2014, 09:52 AM
I`m Lazy

Clean em, w pb apc

Then spray em with PB bold n brite, walk away. done

basswood
07-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Felt - yup, that`s a better description than "furry."

Thanks to all for the guidance and suggestions. :yourrock

Best,
Tom

chet31
07-12-2014, 08:14 PM
I have found Meg`s All-Season dressing does a reasonable job as a cleaner, so I spray it on liberally, let it dwell, wipe, done. It darkens everything so well that if I don`t clean it perfectly, it doesn`t matter, it still looks good. P.S. I`m a hobbyist, not a pro, my standards are lower.

wdmaccord
07-12-2014, 10:33 PM
I use Amazing Roll Off also. I dilute 1:2. I use this on both plastic and "furry" wheel wheels and scrub with Mother`s fenderwell brush. Rinse first as ARO seems to work better on a wet surface. I use ARO on the tires too. It will pull out some of the brown...not as much as Tuf Shine, but does a good job.

For dressing, try to find something that is water based. I try to stay away from anything solvent or silicone based when it comes to dressings and trim restorers, etc. I`ve found one here locally at a detailing shop that brands their own stuff, but otherwise, I would probably go with Megs Hyperdressing given its versatility.

spiralout462
07-12-2014, 11:39 PM
A clean wheel well needs no "dressing" in my opinion. I see no benefit from it on the vehicles I maintain. As far as cleaning, high pressure is the way to go! Especially for the "furry" variety.

TroyScherer
07-13-2014, 08:28 AM
I like to wash my wheel wells with APC or Amazing RollOff then dress them with CG BareBones if they are smooth plastic.

For the fabric I usually wash them like I do the ones above. But then I try and protect them a little by using 303 fabric gaurd, or other spray on fabric protection.

basswood
07-13-2014, 07:35 PM
Thanks again to all for your suggestions.

On the first hand I appreciate your guidance.

On the second hand, because of your "suggestions", this is getting fookin` expensive. :)

On the third hand it is because of your suggestions, mentoring and guidance that our cars look fabulous.

Thank you.

Tom