PDA

View Full Version : Hello! From CNY

Pages : [1] 2

Nixma
06-14-2014, 06:40 AM
(caution..long and too much info...lol)

Hello! I have been lurking for awhile and decided to introduce myself. I am the new owner of a 2014 Toyota Highlander (Blizzard Pearl white) and I am going to go nuts with taking care of her. I am completely overwhelmed with the enormous amounts of info here...in a good way. I have purchased from various recommendations on this site including but not limited to wax, sealants, towels, clay, and tools. I also bought the Pinnacle interior line which is fantastic. I am thoroughly enjoying my experience! My husband on the other hand does not understand my enthusiasm lol. He thinks in crazy!! ( and so does the FED EX guy...) My father was into cars and I think about him when I am working on my own.
While trying to attend to my truck, and organize my detailing supplies, I have had several observations! First, if I am going to try and keep my interior floor clean...my garage floor must be clean! Holy cow...the garage floor has been neglected of years, and thats a lot of salt and sand to sweep out! Also, trying to organize things in a cabinet that was dedicated to junk over time has led me to have to organize the entire garage! One thing leads to another wow! Back in the day I had a sports car and I tried to take care of it like crazy. Boy how times have changed. Back in the 80`s I learned what I could from books and going to car shows. Now there is this crazy thing called the internet and its loaded with info!
I have already washed and waxed the truck, but after looking at all of these beautiful products, I purchased some better ones. I now have collinite (I live right down the road from them) and some P21S 1005 caranuba. I am itching to go over the truck once again with the better wax and sealant. I am also going to clean the windshield to perfection and try applying some aquapel.
I also bought those weather tech liners, which seem to be working out great!
I will be having surgery soon and will have limits to my activity levels for the rest of the summer so I feel the need to get moving! Last summer I was diagnosed with colon cancer. It was a devastating blow and had surgery back then to remove the tumor. Well, it returned and I did chemo. Now I will have more surgery (extensive) to get what is left and then more dam chemo. I bought the truck, feeling like what the hell why not! I deserve it and you only live once! Detailing the vehicle is very therapeutic for me and I can do little bits at a time.
I am intimidated by the machine polishing and more powerful tools. I would like to stick to doing things by hand at first. It is good exercise and i enjoy it. I hope the pollen is calmed down some because my vehicle was looking yellow of awhile! Also, back in the day, we would use newspaper to clean windows, but now it seems to be a microfiber world! For a little errand, I went into an auto parts store and asked for a grit guard. The dude looked at me like I had three heads. I descried what it was and he offer his comment of "oh thats a good idea". LOL Oh well.
A couple of questions: what is "sheeting?"
Also, do you guys wash your sheepskin wash mits? I was going to throw mine in the washer with the micro fiber towels and then decided against it. I am using a dedicated microfiber cleaner of course!
Well I will end my rambling, I realize my post is long and disjointed lol. I hope everyone enjoys the weekend, and I will see you around!!
Thanks for reading...
T

Wors
06-14-2014, 06:46 AM
Sorry to hear about your health problems. Hope the surgery goes well and you recovery quickly.

Welcome to AutopiaFroums T! Post a picture of your SUV when you get a chance.

mjlinane
06-14-2014, 06:51 AM
Welcome to AutopiaForums!

Best wishes on your surgery and hope for a full and speedy recovery.

Easier seen than described.

Adam`s Polishes Vol. 7 - Chapter 07 - Sheet Rinse Technique - YouTube

Nixma
06-14-2014, 07:01 AM
Thanks guys!

EVOlved
06-14-2014, 08:18 AM
:welcome: to the forum. Very sorry to hear about the illness. Hope all goes well.

Yes I wash my sheepskin mitt, separately in cold water, then when done brush it, with a hair brush.

"Sheeting" is when water just falls off the car, instead of beading.

And where is CNY?

Nixma
06-14-2014, 11:30 AM
CNY = central New York, Near Syracuse/Utica

Bunky
06-14-2014, 01:42 PM
Welcome...sorry to hear about the problems., However, detailing may help on the holistic side.

Bunky
06-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Welcome to AutopiaForums!
Easier seen than described.

I just do not like crimping the hose. I just show a shutoff and a cut off end of a hose...all done with disconnects.

Ronkh
06-14-2014, 05:01 PM
Welcome...

Thinking out loud here, buut I wonder if we have anyone near that area who would give you a hand?

You`re about 4 hrs from Nyack, you might want to go to poorboys world detail days next week. sure they would get ya going

Ronkh
06-14-2014, 05:05 PM
Someone should be able to polish out your car for you and get a good layer of sealant/wax to make it easier for you to care for, as well as let you use some of the machines to get you comfortable using them

tropicsteve
06-14-2014, 06:44 PM
wow T, keep the faith my friend with all those procedures you have to go through and just concentrate on getting better.
don`t let machine polishing scare you, it`s really not rocket science and you`ll never get the results by hand that a proper machined finish will give you. today`s da polishers are very safe to use. How to Properly Use the Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/porter-cable-how-to-dvd.html#.U5zdIcZOWUk) is a great investment to get you started with machine polishing and the techniques apply to all da polishers.

EVOlved
06-14-2014, 09:33 PM
Welcome...

Thinking out loud here, buut I wonder if we have anyone near that area who would give you a hand?

You`re about 4 hrs from Nyack, you might want to go to poorboys world detail days next week. sure they would get ya going

I`d be willing to do so sometime but that`s a pretty big trip.

Trouble
06-14-2014, 11:52 PM
(caution..long and too much info...lol)

Hello! I have been lurking for awhile and decided to introduce myself. I am the new owner of a 2014 Toyota Highlander (Blizzard Pearl white) and I am going to go nuts with taking care of her. I am completely overwhelmed with the enormous amounts of info here...in a good way.

I have purchased from various recommendations on this site including but not limited to wax, sealants, towels, clay, and tools. I also bought the Pinnacle interior line which is fantastic. I am thoroughly enjoying my experience! My husband on the other hand does not understand my enthusiasm lol. He thinks in crazy!! ( and so does the FED EX guy...) My father was into cars and I think about him when I am working on my own.

While trying to attend to my truck, and organize my detailing supplies, I have had several observations! First, if I am going to try and keep my interior floor clean...my garage floor must be clean! Holy cow...the garage floor has been neglected of years, and thats a lot of salt and sand to sweep out! Also, trying to organize things in a cabinet that was dedicated to junk over time has led me to have to organize the entire garage!

One thing leads to another wow! Back in the day I had a sports car and I tried to take care of it like crazy. Boy how times have changed. Back in the 80`s I learned what I could from books and going to car shows. Now there is this crazy thing called the internet and its loaded with info!

I have already washed and waxed the truck, but after looking at all of these beautiful products, I purchased some better ones. I now have collinite (I live right down the road from them) and some P21S 1005 caranuba. I am itching to go over the truck once again with the better wax and sealant. I am also going to clean the windshield to perfection and try applying some aquapel.
I also bought those weather tech liners, which seem to be working out great!

I will be having surgery soon and will have limits to my activity levels for the rest of the summer so I feel the need to get moving! Last summer I was diagnosed with colon cancer. It was a devastating blow and had surgery back then to remove the tumor. Well, it returned and I did chemo. Now I will have more surgery (extensive) to get what is left and then more dam chemo.

I bought the truck, feeling like what the hell why not! I deserve it and you only live once! Detailing the vehicle is very therapeutic for me and I can do little bits at a time.
I am intimidated by the machine polishing and more powerful tools. I would like to stick to doing things by hand at first. It is good exercise and i enjoy it. I hope the pollen is calmed down some because my vehicle was looking yellow of awhile! Also, back in the day, we would use newspaper to clean windows, but now it seems to be a microfiber world!

For a little errand, I went into an auto parts store and asked for a grit guard. The dude looked at me like I had three heads. I descried what it was and he offer his comment of "oh thats a good idea". LOL Oh well.
A couple of questions: what is "sheeting?"
Also, do you guys wash your sheepskin wash mits? I was going to throw mine in the washer with the micro fiber towels and then decided against it. I am using a dedicated microfiber cleaner of course!

Well I will end my rambling, I realize my post is long and disjointed lol. I hope everyone enjoys the weekend, and I will see you around!!
Thanks for reading...
T

:welcome:

I have two friends that have defeated colon cancer in the past 18 months. Both were stage 3. My prayers are with you. Stay strong and keep God close. Get through all this and I will buy you a polisher and answer any questions you might have

FWIW. Try hitting the `ENTER` key every couple if sentences. It makes your response`s easier to read

P.S. No need to apologize for rambling. Ronkh does it on a daily basis

Pats300zx
06-15-2014, 07:42 AM
Welcome to Autopia Forums !!!!

Todd@RUPES
06-16-2014, 06:13 AM
Best of luck in your "fight"....

Give me a call tomorrow at 877.855.3125 ext 3202 and I will send you some BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Carnauba Wax to try. All you gotta do is promise to have fun applying it and it`s yours.

Todd