PDA

View Full Version : I screwed up bad helpp!!

Pages : [1] 2

banana13
06-09-2014, 09:27 PM
HI everyone can you guys give me advice on what i should do , so basically I was washing my car at the coin wash i was using the high pressure setting and the stall I picked was very small and didn`t have a lot of room but I managed to get around but when I was rinsing the car the wand of the tip of the pressure washer hit my paint and after that I dried my car and saw that it left a small scratch that was a line like this big ---- so what do I do now compund and polish , I feel stupid because this car was only 3 months old and the paint job is still in condition. I guess it was my fault I was in a rush.:wall:wall:wall

WaxAddict
06-09-2014, 09:35 PM
We will need to how deep the scratch is. Does it penetrate the clearcoat and go to the base (color) coat? Does it go to the primer? The metal? Picture(s) would help.

01GreyStangGT
06-09-2014, 10:44 PM
If you can feel it with your thumbnail you may not be able to buff it all out.

banana13
06-09-2014, 11:03 PM
Yea sorry about that haha this thread is useless without pics,I can`t really tell if it`s deep into the clear coat or not .

banana13
06-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Also a side note this car has not been properly waxed yet because the dealership told me to wait six months band then you should wax it or polish , don`t know if that`s true but correct me on that.

NLove
06-10-2014, 12:05 AM
As 01GreyStangGT (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/members/01greystanggt.html) stated if it catches your nail it is more than likely to deep to safely remove. Even it if is too deep to safely remove you should be able to improve it to where you would be the only person to know the scratch exists. As far as polishing and waxing, if the car is new from the factory the paint will be fully cure. If it is a repaint you will want to wait to apply a wax\sealant\coating. You can still polish it after a repaint, but paint would be softer since it wouldn`t be fully cured.

chet31
06-10-2014, 12:36 AM
First of all, you did not screw up bad. This is a minor screw up at worst. Reserve "I screwed up bad" for when you really need it.

Anyway, hard to tell from the pic, but I`m not sure that is even a scratch. Looks more like transfer, are you sure it`s a scratch?

Stokdgs
06-10-2014, 01:04 AM
Sorry this had to happen to you..

What kind of car, year, make, and model - what color of paint ?

It looks like its just on top of the paint and not into the clearcoat and basecoat..

As has been already said, if you cant catch a fingernail - gently - in the scratch, it is deeper than we would like ,but not going to be impossible to make it look better..

If you have something like a Quick Detailer in a spray bottle, spray the scratch and all around it and gently with a clean soft towel, wipe in straight back and forth motions, to remove any existing dust, etc.., to start.

You can certainly take some either polish or compound -( please advise what you have on hand now) - and a soft cotton towel, using 1-2 fingers under the towel, put a little of your product on and rub the mark - gently - in straight back and forth motion if possible, work the product into the paint until it breaks down (which should be quickly), and wipe it clean with another soft towel...

Try not to scratch the paint with dirty towels, etc...

Ok, back to to you ! :)
Dan F

Todd@RUPES
06-10-2014, 05:55 AM
You can wax or polish any new car - the paint is cured in a high-heat oven at the assembly line.

If the scratch isn`t too deep, then you should be able to remove it. Lightly rub your fingernail over the scratch and see if you can feel it "catch"... If it catches, you might be able to reduce the scratch but you shouldn`t attempt to remove it.

banana13
06-10-2014, 02:28 PM
I guess im over dramatic.
Its a 2014 acura rdx.Black on black.
I tried to use quick detailer but it doesnt work do you guys suggest clay bar, then polish and skip compound??

banana13
06-10-2014, 02:30 PM
I literally just washed my car on sunday and I parked it ouside for like 9 houra in the sun and there is already alot of dust and dirt and there are a bunch of little cirlcle sized dust particles.

Ronkh
06-10-2014, 02:50 PM
I literally just washed my car on sunday and I parked it ouside for like 9 houra in the sun and there is already alot of dust and dirt and there are a bunch of little cirlcle sized dust particles.

sounds like ya didn`t dry it for this part

Stokdgs
06-10-2014, 05:22 PM
I guess im over dramatic.
Its a 2014 acura rdx.Black on black.
I tried to use quick detailer but it doesnt work do you guys suggest clay bar, then polish and skip compound??

Read our posts -

A Quick Detailer is only going to help clean the surface/s you spray it on after you wipe said surface with a clean soft towel...
Dan F

banana13
06-10-2014, 06:18 PM
I actually did dry it with a mf towel and sprayed quick detailer.

banana13
06-10-2014, 11:09 PM
These were the spots im talking about ??