PDA

View Full Version : One of the most important parts of being a professional...

Pages : [1] 2

The Driver
05-14-2014, 02:02 PM
In my many years of detailing I`ve learned some very crucial lessons. I`m not talking about the facts or reviews, that I and the rest us are so thankful for but real in the field lessons. Please leave your best advice for other Detailers and new comers.

Just do your job, as hard as maybe when you get a nice project. You need to control the urge to go above and beyond. It`s one thing to be a stickler and clean the vents etc, but it`s different ball game when you start experimenting to get a better result. I think Larry from Ammo said it best, try not to get caught up in over doing things, just do what you need to do and then take an extra 10 minutes and go over everything.

Taking those extra 10 minutes really does make a difference. :bigups

Stokdgs
05-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Totally agree with your wisdom from experience...

I have found it is always better to do all the experimenting on your vehicle/s or someone who is willing to have a Test Vehicle, so that you can work out how a new product acts, and then, even after you know, it may still act different to a point, on different paint...

There are just too many variables - all Great Detailers get this -

One just has to be able to think in the most innovative ways.. Always...

Nothing will ever substitute for hands-on experiences either...

Yeah, I get it that YouTube, etc., has done much to help familiarize those who are not, but nothing will ever be as good as your entire being, concentrated on that vehicle; with you continually adjusting your many, ,many, different processes as needed on every surface...

Yeah, the days of going to the park and putting a couple of coats of Classic Car Wax on the Camaro are gone... :) Unless you want to do just that... :)
Dan F

Todd@RUPES
05-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Best advice: You don`t know as much as you think you know...

Always treat customers how you would want to be treated, don`t be afraid to turn down work that is above your experience/expertise, underpromise/overdeliver

mrclean81
05-15-2014, 10:10 AM
Customer service should always be your #1 priority above all else. There is a big difference between doing this as a hobby and doing it for a living. You have to know your numbers. As they say on The Profit, if you don`t know your numbers then you don`t know your business.
A real pro is versatile and efficient in everything they do, and both can only come from years of hands on experience. Learn to think for yourself, keep your ego in check, and take care of those who take care of you.

Trouble
05-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Pursue business partners who are the exact opposite of you

Todd@RUPES
05-15-2014, 12:17 PM
Pursue business partners who are the exact opposite of you

In Trouble`s case: everybody :rofl

Trouble
05-15-2014, 01:04 PM
Use whatever line of work you are in as a way to get your foot in the door for bigger and better things

Trouble
05-15-2014, 01:31 PM
When someone tries to attack your character ignore them

Trouble
05-15-2014, 01:54 PM
Keep your shirt tucked in and your shoes polished

Trouble
05-15-2014, 01:58 PM
Make sure your breath doesn`t stink before trying to close a deal

Trouble
05-15-2014, 02:15 PM
Never cook/warm up fish in the microwave

Trouble
05-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Never fart or start a conversation in an elevator

RaysWay
05-15-2014, 02:34 PM
:rofl

“Trouble brings experience, and experience brings wisdom.”
-Aeschylus

parttimer
05-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Never cook bacon in the nude.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Bunky
05-16-2014, 06:25 AM
When you deal with anyone in a profession, I find those that come across strong as know it all, have conspiracy theories, make up anything to provide some answer even when they know nothing about what they are saying, try to tell you they are giving you a special deal, do not call back when called, have excuses when being late or do not do something, over sell and under deliver, no written estimates, etc.