PDA

View Full Version : Clay barring a car.........

zvez
04-30-2014, 01:20 PM
So, this makes me really nervous. Some years ago I clayed an Elise I had. I first washed the car thoroughly, and with proper lubricant I proceeded to clay the car. At some point tho I must`ve picked up a tiny bit of grit and it ended up causing some minor scratches.

Fast forward, I`m getting a new (to me) car, it`s an 07 and it`s black metallic. I know the proper thing to do is to clay the paint before waxing, BUT I`m worried about the scratching. This is an British built car and so they use water based paints which tend to be a bit soft.

So thoughts?

mnehls86
04-30-2014, 01:25 PM
If you think you picked something up toss that clay bar and buy a new one. Make sure the vehicle is extra clean if you are worried about it happening again. Soft black you will most likely see some light marks even from a fine clay bar.

bswombaugh
04-30-2014, 02:15 PM
Make sure you use a fine grade clay bar and plenty of lubricant. As previously stated; it is very possible that you may still get some light marring. With the car being black - it will tend to show even the smallest imperfections. I always polish after claying to remove any of the marring. It usually only takes a light polishing to remove anything inflicted by the clay bar .

Pockets
04-30-2014, 02:18 PM
If you think you picked something up toss that clay bar and buy a new one. Make sure the vehicle is extra clean if you are worried about it happening again. Soft black you will most likely see some light marks even from a fine clay bar.

Make sure you use a fine grade clay bar and plenty of lubricant. As previously stated; it is very possible that you may still get some light marring. With the car being black - it will tend to show even the smallest imperfections. I always polish after claying to remove any of the marring. It usually only takes a light polishing to remove anything inflicted by the clay bar .

Both are spot on

zvez
04-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys!
Chris

Stokdgs
04-30-2014, 03:37 PM
So, this makes me really nervous. Some years ago I clayed an Elise I had. I first washed the car thoroughly, and with proper lubricant I proceeded to clay the car. At some point tho I must`ve picked up a tiny bit of grit and it ended up causing some minor scratches.

Fast forward, I`m getting a new (to me) car, it`s an 07 and it`s black metallic. I know the proper thing to do is to clay the paint before waxing, BUT I`m worried about the scratching. This is an British built car and so they use water based paints which tend to be a bit soft.

So thoughts?

Everyone uses water based paints for years now and they are not necessarily soft..

My advice ---

LOOK at your Claybar before you touch the paint !
Look at it closely !
If you see stuff in it that is not the color of the claybar and resembles tiny hard things, Remove them..

As soon as the side of the claybar you are using has changed colors because of all the nastiness it is removing from the paint, either use a Claybar cleaner, or knead this dirty part away and use a clean claybar surface..

Try to do this on cool surfaces and it will always work easier and the clay will not have a tendancy to want to stick to the paint and cause marring..

I personally use DODO Juice Born Slippy Clay Lube Concentrate, and have just loved it for years now..

Good luck with this !
Dan F

Merlin
04-30-2014, 03:53 PM
I`ve been using a Nanoskin Speedy Prep (FINE) polymerized rubber clay alternative for years now.
This works great with Nanoskin Glide Instant Detail Spray Lubricant. I have not found any paint marring.
It may (I don`t think so) but I usually follow up with a polish so any marring that it possibly caused is gone.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/merlinhd03/Harley%20Truck/100th_harley.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/ban/wxBanner?bannertype=miniDial&zip=33472 Merlin (http://www.amiracledetailing.com)