PDA

View Full Version : Have a cool detail to do (Hopefully)

Justins00ss
04-28-2014, 12:32 PM
I will start at the beginning. Friday night I took my 06 GTO up to the local car meet here in Port Saint Lucie. After I got there a nice looking Pontiac G8 GT pulled in. So I went over and introduced myself and we started talking and what not. I noticed he had a Florida G8 car club sticker on his window, so I asked about the club. He told me to go on there Facebook page and introduce myself and my GTO. So later that night I did just that. I posted a few pics and told them about how I wet sanded it etc etc.

Fast forward to Sunday afternoon. I get a message on FB from the editor of High Performance Pontiac Magazine in Tampa FL. After some back and forth, it turns out he has the first Pontiac G8 built Vin# 1 !!!! It has 700 miles on it and he is getting ready to sell it. After seeing my GTO he wants me to come to there facility and do a detail/photo shoot on the G8 for the magazine showing the steps and the car off. As of now we have a date set for May 18th. He said the car black and has been stored indoors and is in nice shape but never really has had a nice detail besides a wash/wax. I know that what a non-detailer and a detailer think look good are 2 totally different things. But he said that the car doesn`t have any surprises.

Right now I plan on using Menzerna PF 2500 on a white CCS pad and topping it off with Pinnacle Black Label Synergy wax along with all the other steps involved with a professional detailing. I have a feeling that that might change with them wanting me to use Meg`s products. I will know later on this week how that pans out.

I thought I would share and ask you guys wish me luck as this is going to be a totally different experience for me!!!

Todd@RUPES
04-28-2014, 01:10 PM
I will start at the beginning. Friday night I took my 06 GTO up to the local car meet here in Port Saint Lucie. After I got there a nice looking Pontiac G8 GT pulled in. So I went over and introduced myself and we started talking and what not. I noticed he had a Florida G8 car club sticker on his window, so I asked about the club. He told me to go on there Facebook page and introduce myself and my GTO. So later that night I did just that. I posted a few pics and told them about how I wet sanded it etc etc.

Fast forward to Sunday afternoon. I get a message on FB from the editor of High Performance Pontiac Magazine in Tampa FL. After some back and forth, it turns out he has the first Pontiac G8 built Vin# 1 !!!! It has 700 miles on it and he is getting ready to sell it. After seeing my GTO he wants me to come to there facility and do a detail/photo shoot on the G8 for the magazine showing the steps and the car off. As of now we have a date set for May 18th. He said the car black and has been stored indoors and is in nice shape but never really has had a nice detail besides a wash/wax. I know that what a non-detailer and a detailer think look good are 2 totally different things. But he said that the car doesn`t have any surprises.

Right now I plan on using Menzerna PF 2500 on a white CCS pad and topping it off with Pinnacle Black Label Synergy wax along with all the other steps involved with a professional detailing. I have a feeling that that might change with them wanting me to use Meg`s products. I will know later on this week how that pans out.

I thought I would share and ask you guys wish me luck as this is going to be a totally different experience for me!!!

Congrats and make sure to charge adequately for your time!

RaysWay
04-28-2014, 01:12 PM
Awesome! I`d wish you luck but I don`t think you need it :ra When I had my 2001 T/A I was subscribed to GMHTP, and would occasionally read High Performance Pontiac Magazine.

Keep us updated and take plenty of pics please.

Justins00ss
04-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Congrats and make sure to charge adequately for your time!

Thank you Todd! Don`t worry we talked about that and worked a fair deal. Might have some product coming my way too.

Awesome! I`d wish you luck but I don`t think you need it :ra When I had my 2001 T/A I was subscribed to GMHTP, and would occasionally read High Performance Pontiac Magazine.

Keep us updated and take plenty of pics please.

Thank you. Yeah I am subscribed to GMHTP too. My SS was due to have a photo shoot on it but I was forced to sell due to a 2nd kid on the way. I will definitely take pics and get a copy of the magazine when it comes out.

Klock
04-28-2014, 06:46 PM
Wow congrats man! You`ll do an awesome job! :yourrock

Ronkh
04-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Enjoy it

Nth Degree
04-28-2014, 07:39 PM
Any car that has a story beyond just being a car is always fun to detail.

I can`t see it having any surprises with only 700 miles on it. Mostly just wash induced marring. Being black you might want something that finishes down a little better than 2500. It is one of my favorite one step polishes but usually on black I can get a better finish with something else. I never lock myself in on a plan when it comes to black. I suggest testing a few options.

Justins00ss
04-28-2014, 07:48 PM
Enjoy it

Wow congrats man! You`ll do an awesome job! :yourrock

Thanks guys. I am really looking forward to doing this. I hope it all goes well.

lyodbraun
04-28-2014, 08:45 PM
Sounds cool, maybe post some pics before and after...

Justins00ss
04-29-2014, 05:59 AM
Sounds cool, maybe post some pics before and after...

That`s my game plan.

Pats300zx
04-29-2014, 09:59 AM
Congrats...Be sure to take lots of pics !!!!

Justins00ss
05-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Any car that has a story beyond just being a car is always fun to detail.

I can`t see it having any surprises with only 700 miles on it. Mostly just wash induced marring. Being black you might want something that finishes down a little better than 2500. It is one of my favorite one step polishes but usually on black I can get a better finish with something else. I never lock myself in on a plan when it comes to black. I suggest testing a few options.

I totally agree on that.

Turns out that because they want to advertise for the products I will be using that Menzerna and Pinnacle are out of the question due to not being able to get product from them. Not a big deal. I will be using Meguiars on this car. Mainly M205 and if needed M100 and Ultimate Paste wax for a LSP. I gave the editor a list of what I would need for the job. From wheel cleaner, tire dressing, clay kit, compound, polish, etc etc. Most of the stuff I kept simple for the reason that I wanted to show products that are readily available OTC from Meguiars.