PDA

View Full Version : Germy interiors!

ca.detailchick
04-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Gross!Makes me want to wear a mask while I work~!:redface:
Dirty Car Interiors Are Making Us Sick (http://autos.aol.com/article/dirty-car-interiors-are-making-us-sick/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl17%7Csec3_lnk4%26pLid%3D466889)

The Driver
04-20-2014, 10:50 PM
I thought we all did wear masks... I do.

jtford95
04-20-2014, 11:09 PM
I have read about that before. Makes sense. Good video.

ca.detailchick
04-20-2014, 11:50 PM
"A study conducted several years ago by researchers at Queen Mary University in London showed that, on average, 700 different kinds of bacteria can be found inside cars. Only 60 types are found in the average public toilet."

WOW!:vomit:

tropicsteve
04-21-2014, 07:57 AM
:inspector: after a closer study of her company statistics, dc did notice a marked decrease in her detailing appts. after wearing her new detail suit. :confused:

Nth Degree
04-21-2014, 10:07 AM
This is why I laugh when people tell me their interior isn`t really all that bad. Just needs a vac and wipe. It is not uncommon for me to spend 15-30 minutes cleaning a steering wheel to get all the grime/lotion off. No simple spray and wipe is going to cut through.

"If you think a detail is expensive, wait until you see the doctor bill and lost income when you get sick from your car`s interior."

And people don`t understand that every nook and cranny in a car cannot be accessed so a thorough cleaning of a car that has been neglected/trashed will never be as safe as one that is detailed regularly.

Stokdgs
04-21-2014, 03:55 PM
Thanks DC for keeping this up at the front where it belongs..

Right before I moved, I detailed a newer Audi Avant (wagon), that had been used for a lot of things including hauling hay bales, etc..

Soon as I got into it, I thought, - what is that smell??????

Turned out that in the middle row, left side, a little child had been routinely stuffing food down through the seat belt clasp hole, and it had been falling underneath the seat for from the looks of the damage, at least a couple years..

After cleaning everything else using Steam, and Einszett Deep Plastic Cleaner, I removed the middle seat and to my horror, was this huge, black, nasty looking and smelling mold plant that had been growing out of a steady diet of food, french fries, candy, and more food, and hay from the back seat that blew in to the mix somehow...

Along with copious amounts of moisture from - well, living in the Northwest -, and the fuel from the damp wet hay and food, it was amazing to me that these people were not hospitalized.. :)

Took a long time to remove the growing black mold spore huge thing, then clean with steam and cleaners, then use a commercial mold killer disinfectant, and then spray a mold prevention product on the floor, and then I had to do the same to the underside foam of the seat which had been a recipient of the mold growth on the floor which reached out and latched onto the foam...

What this stuff did to me, was give me pains in my chest and shortness of breath for a few days and then I was better...

Next time we will learn about the ham and cheese sandwiches I found underneath a BMW wagon,,,, well, maybe not.... I dont want to ruin everyone`s lunch... :)

Dan F

ca.detailchick
04-21-2014, 08:34 PM
:inspector: after a closer study of her company statistics, dc did notice a marked decrease in her detailing appts. after wearing her new detail suit. :confused:Where can I get one of those get ups? Not orange though!:D

ca.detailchick
04-21-2014, 08:38 PM

Right before I moved, I detailed a newer Audi Avant (wagon), that had been used for a lot of things including hauling hay bales, etc..

Turned out that in the middle row, left side, a little child had been routinely stuffing food down through the seat belt clasp hole, and it had been falling underneath the seat for from the looks of the damage, at least a couple years..

After cleaning everything else using Steam, and Einszett Deep Plastic Cleaner, I removed the middle seat and to my horror, was this huge, black, nasty looking and smelling mold plant that had been growing out of a steady diet of food, french fries, candy, and more food, and hay from the back seat that blew in to the mix somehow...

Along with copious amounts of moisture from - well, living in the Northwest -, and the fuel from the damp wet hay and food, it was amazing to me that these people were not hospitalized.. :)

Took a long time to remove the growing black mold spore huge thing, then clean with steam and cleaners, then use a commercial mold killer disinfectant, and then spray a mold prevention product on the floor, and then I had to do the same to the underside foam of the seat which had been a recipient of the mold growth on the floor which reached out and latched onto the foam...

What this stuff did to me, was give me pains in my chest and shortness of breath for a few days and then I was better...

Next time we will learn about the ham and cheese sandwiches I found underneath a BMW wagon,,,, well, maybe not.... I dont want to ruin everyone`s lunch... :)

Dan FNASTY! I felt ill from cleaning a moldy trunk once and if someone tells me they have mold I pass on the job now.

I worry about jobs that have a ton of dog hair and sometimes wonder how many worm and flea eggs I have ingested over the years!:lol2:

ca.detailchick
04-21-2014, 08:42 PM
This is why I laugh when people tell me their interior isn`t really all that bad. Just needs a vac and wipe. It is not uncommon for me to spend 15-30 minutes cleaning a steering wheel to get all the grime/lotion off. No simple spray and wipe is going to cut through.

"If you think a detail is expensive, wait until you see the doctor bill and lost income when you get sick from your car`s interior."

And people don`t understand that every nook and cranny in a car cannot be accessed so a thorough cleaning of a car that has been neglected/trashed will never be as safe as one that is detailed regularly.
Its amazing how much black can come off a steering wheel on some of these peoples cars. Dont people wash their hands ?! Had a computor guy tell me some of his clients keyboards are black with grime too!

Todd@RUPES
04-21-2014, 09:12 PM

Dan F

I`m glad I ate before I read this!