PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding fake trim

mohamedmaark
03-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Hi guys got another question. Have you guys ever noticed this fake looking chrome trim that they have on cars now. Well i have a problem removing some oxidation is what it looks like from them. Below is pics so you have a idea. What can i do to remove the oxidation/dirt?

bswombaugh
03-12-2014, 06:22 AM
I typically will use something like meguiars ultimate compound or D151 by hand to clean up these areas. I have had some instances where the spotting and stains seemed to be below the surface of the clear coating on this type of trim. If that is the case, there isn`t much you can do to remove it.

Ronkh
03-12-2014, 07:47 AM
I`ve had some luck with pb pro polish and terry cloth.

Lot of that is water etching and sun. So some will come off, some wont

Beemerboy
03-12-2014, 10:10 AM
I`ve had some luck with pb pro polish and terry cloth.

Lot of that is water etching and sun. So some will come off, some wont

Bingo..Pro-polish is a chemical based polish and will not induce marring and clean the surface.

A compound has a lot of grit and that`s not what you want on that surface

bswombaugh
03-12-2014, 01:00 PM
I should have clarified to always start out with the least aggressive product as Ronkh and Beemerboy have advised. A pure chemical cleaner polish may work for you but I have found that certain oxidation and water spotting may require a light abrasive to remove. I have used UC in the past and particularly D151 which is an AIO with some light cutting ability. I haven`t had an issue with additional marring but that doesn`t mean you wouldn`t in your particular application. I am pretty sure that Ronkh and Beemerboy have touched far more cars than I have. As always, proceed lightly and with caution on a small test area. These trim pieces can vary greatly from vehicle to vehicle with the amount of plating or clearcoat that you have to work with. If the cleaner polish doesn`t work - I would try a small area with Meguiars UP or M205. Just start out slow and small to gage how the surface is reacting and move up from there.

Todd@RUPES
03-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Poorboy`s Pro Polish is a great product for this, as is Klasse All In One or BLACKFIRE Total Polish N Seal.

However, all of the above are very very mild in terms of actual abrasive power. If you need something more, I have had very good luck with Meguiars M205, or if I need more, BLACKFIRE SRC Compound.