PDA

View Full Version : Glaze & Polish

joe18741
11-17-2013, 05:46 PM
I am using 3M Perfect-it 3000 Machine Polish
Also Using Mothers Professional Machine GLAZE

What is the Difference Between a polish & a Glaze ????

Used both products second step after compounding Which Is
better to remove swirls

Thanks Joe

mrclean81
11-17-2013, 06:42 PM
The polish will remove the swirls better than the glaze. Glaze has its purpose, but that purpose is to fill and hide inperfections rather than remove them. In fact, 3M is notorious for their compounds and polishes containing fillers as well. As long as your ok with this, its not a problem. If you want to stick with these products, follow the compound with polish, then follow the polish with glaze.

Old Pirate
11-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Glazes are used to fill very small surface scratches or very swirl marks. Polishing is to remove minor blemishes, like surface scratches, swirl marks, scuffs marks, also after compounding.

Go with a polish first then follow up with your glaze.

Old Pirate
11-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Also anyways check after any polishing a panel to see if your work is done right.

joe18741
11-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Thank you for answering two of my posts, I appreciate your help.
I am not looking to fill the defects I am looking to correct them properly,
if you have any suggestions on products that I should try instead of 3M
and Mothers to accomplish this please let me know.
I am new to detailing but very interested in doing the job right.
thank you, Joe

mrclean81
11-17-2013, 11:03 PM
There are soooo many good compounds and polishes out there. Meguires, Blackfire, Optimum, Poorboys, Menzerna...the options are endless and they are all top notch products. I suggest looking through the store to check out all of the different products out there. Its easy to get overwhelmed, but its well worth the effort. My favorite right now is Optimum Hyper Compound and Polish, but that`s just my personal preference.

Todd@RUPES
11-18-2013, 06:47 AM
Glaze is an often-misused and never defined term...

Some companies (Wolfgang for example) call their final polish a glaze. There are no fillers, per say, in Wolfgang`s formula, and it is designed to create a true shine.

Some companies, like Meguiar`s, have used the term polish to describe a product that really is a glaze (non-abrasive, but with a lot of filling ability).

Used both products second step after compounding Which Is
better to remove swirls

Personal experience, but I prefer 3M`s polish more than Mother`s in this case.

joe18741
11-18-2013, 01:12 PM
If you`ll read this product description it may help:

Mothers® Professional Machine Glaze (http://www.mothers.com/02_products/82332.html)

Machine Glaze is not the same as a hand glaze. It has polishes in it to remove light defects. It`s a two in one product to save time.

In that same link is a download which explains the differences between our pro products

Above is a reply I got Mr Mom

Thanks for all the input

I have been to the mothers web site a & downloaded info you have suggested

I want to give everybody a bit more info
used mothers glaze /rotary/LC white pad
used 3M polish /rotary/3M black waffle pad

I felt I got better correction from 3M combo

Yet I look at Todd Helme polish comparison chart 3M is less aggressive then Mothers Glaze
Have a lot to learn thanks Joe