PDA

View Full Version : fluorescent yellow stains on new car?

Pages : [1] 2

Roger V
11-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Just picked a new Audi a little under a month ago. I`ve been out of town so the car has been in the garage. Prior to that, the car spent 2 weeks at the dealer while they fixed a scratch on the front bumper that must have popped up during transit. Finally got a chance to detail it and found these yellow stains on the drivers side upper hood.

I`ve tried go-gone, claybar, iron x, wd40, and SSR 2.5, but nothing seems to budge it. I`m totally stumped on what could have caused this. The car sits in the garage, is not around pollen, and I don`t have a crazy ex-girlfriend who would have drawn on my car. :rofl

I`m imagining it`s something that happened at the dealer so hopefully they will fix it. In the meantime, has anyone ever seen anything like this?

VaderGT
11-17-2013, 04:39 PM
where is it located at? When I had my WRX I use to read people would complain if they got the satin white car and the dealer used their tire dressing it would sling onto the car and give it odd stains. Could this be tire dressing?

Old Pirate
11-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Maybe it`s from the road...like Fluorescent Traffic paint or oil from the road.

Roger V
11-17-2013, 06:03 PM
where is it located at? When I had my WRX I use to read people would complain if they got the satin white car and the dealer used their tire dressing it would sling onto the car and give it odd stains. Could this be tire dressing?

Drivers side right beneath the windshield.

Roger V
11-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Maybe it`s from the road...like Fluorescent Traffic paint or oil from the road.

Any idea what the next step to removal would be? At this point I feel like the only next step is wet sanding. As you can kind of see it the pictures each little spot is made up of several dots.

RacerScott
11-17-2013, 07:24 PM
I would try a more aggressive polish or compound before wet sanding. What machine/pad did you use?

Roger V
11-17-2013, 07:30 PM
I would try a more aggressive polish or compound before wet sanding. What machine/pad did you use?

I just did a test using SSR 2.5 on my finger which allowed me to exert a decent amount of force. I feel like at this point if that didn`t cause it to budge nothing is going to.

I`m going to try the same SSR 2.5 on a lake country orange pad with the DA to see if it does anything, but it`s not looking hopeful.

Stopped by chemical guys today and they said they thought it looked to be under the clear...

Stokdgs
11-17-2013, 09:48 PM
I just did a test using SSR 2.5 on my finger which allowed me to exert a decent amount of force. I feel like at this point if that didn`t cause it to budge nothing is going to.

I`m going to try the same SSR 2.5 on a lake country orange pad with the DA to see if it does anything, but it`s not looking hopeful.

Stopped by chemical guys today and they said they thought it looked to be under the clear...

What did the bodyshop say when you called them about it ??

Can you get another opinion from a real Detailer down there - assume you are in SoCal, right ???

Wonder if Jimmy Lucci is still down there.... What about David Saunders ???

There are others as well that post here...

You Audi has hard paint.. Did anyone put magnification on the spots to get a good look at them ?? Need to start there to get an idea..

Good luck with this !
Dan F

Roger V
11-17-2013, 10:26 PM
What did the bodyshop say when you called them about it ??

Can you get another opinion from a real Detailer down there - assume you are in SoCal, right ???

Wonder if Jimmy Lucci is still down there.... What about David Saunders ???

There are others as well that post here...

You Audi has hard paint.. Did anyone put magnification on the spots to get a good look at them ?? Need to start there to get an idea..

Good luck with this !
Dan F

Haven`t been able to track down the body shop. It was somewhere the dealer took it. Trying to get the dealer on the phone has been a pain. I will deff have one of the reputable detailers have a look because I think it`s out of the realm of what I can correct on my own.

szjalo
11-17-2013, 10:51 PM
did the cat pee again...

Roger V
11-17-2013, 11:24 PM
did the cat pee again...

Hah, i had someone suggest that, but I park in an apartment parking garage three stories underground where I have NEVER seen a cat. :wall

Stokdgs
11-18-2013, 12:26 AM
Hah, i had someone suggest that, but I park in an apartment parking garage three stories underground where I have NEVER seen a cat. :wall

I wonder if its some nasty liquid stuff that spilled down onto the car in that underground parking lot?
Or did you say you spotted it right after you picked it up from the Dealer?

Dan F

Quiksilver5882
11-18-2013, 01:41 AM
Maybe some d300 or m101 on a microfiber pad will do the trick. Does the stain feel raised off the paint? If so, I`ve had great success with Tarminator.

502_Jimmy
11-18-2013, 05:50 AM
It could be dye. Like the kind used to check for leaks in A/C systems, engines, etc.. You said it was at the shop...

Just a random thought..
John

Todd@RUPES
11-18-2013, 06:58 AM
That looks like permanent paint stains (given the pictures and your polishing). If its a brand new car, bring back to the deal.