PDA

View Full Version : need a little help with this cold weather detail

Pages : [1] 2

512detail
11-12-2013, 12:34 PM
well i have my first `cold` weather work set up for me tomorrow and just my luck that the first real cold front is coming through into central texas this evening and it will be a wonderful 39 (32 with windchill) when i start at 9 tomorrow. by noon it should be low 50s and hold there for the rest of daylight so thats okay.

this is my first year detailing in the `winter` as you would call it in my part of texas. so i have a few questions for those who work in colder weather regularly.

*I hope this isnt a stupid question but: if the temperature is in the 40s do polishes/waxes still work the same?I would guess they would take longer to dry on the surface but dont want to find out first hand tomorrow. i know alot of them say not to work on warm surfaces or in the direct sun but i lack sufficient knowledge on their ability to work in the lower ranges of the temperature scale

Also do you see any flaws in my planned method? (trying to get this done as efficiently as possible given the supplies i have at hand-come on christmas sales!)

wheels/tires: megs apc+ in foam sprayer, optibond on tires
interior: opticlean, qtips, toothpics, vacuum etc.
lexol 3n1 leather care
glass: stoners

hose rinse then one bucket method with lots of towels and mits (keep my hands out of the cold water as much as possible) - dry with ww and powered air

then im hoping one of their shops is vacant so i can get out of the wind and cold air

baggie test and clay if needed (really regretting not purchasing a clay towel yet)

shine: this is really my delima, i need to make the best use of my time and products here
i would prefer to keep this to two products on the exterior (ex. AIO and optiseal or Glaze and Optiseal) as that is all that is really outlined in the package they are purchasing but i do like to go above and beyond so...

application will be by hand via ccs white/red/gold polishing pad as i am still waiting on the price of the new rupes before i purcahse a machine
I do have the megs DA drill adapter kit but i normally just use that to spread wax or do wheels although i have to say it did some decent correction on my neighbors vette last month

A)xmt 360 by hand via white ccs pad
then optiseal with gold ccs pad and if feeling like doing a little extra xmt360 spray wax on top

B)xmt carnauba finishing glaze by hand via red ccs pad then optiseal (possible xmt 360 spray wax on top)

or i just thought of this scenario
C) XMT 360 via drill and megs DA adapter kit and done
D) XMT carnauba finishing glase via drill and megs DA adapter kit followed by optiseal or xmt 360 spray wax

im hoping to get both vehicles completed tomororw, normally that would not be an issue by my second set of hands (that normally does interiors) will not be with me. its a corvette and a f250 truck but the truck is usually a nightmare and i am betting hes been to the deer lease in the recent past so i am sure i have my work cut out for me.

thanks for reading this excessively long post and if you`re still with me, please post a reply so i can get some feeback going

Thanks,
Brandt

lyodbraun
11-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Sounds like you got it all planned out, should be fine I`ve never used or polished in the cold so can`t help there... But do let us know how it works ?

The Driver
11-12-2013, 10:25 PM
I`ve done tons in the cold, love it except for the water parts. Clear is also a little a bit harder to cut, not really a problem though.

512detail
11-12-2013, 11:19 PM
the vette is silver
this is a pic from last time with xmt glaze .optiseal and xmt spray wax
http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r526/brandt1069/car%20washes/details/IMAG2639_zps241d9451.jpg (http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/brandt1069/media/car%20washes/details/IMAG2639_zps241d9451.jpg.html)

the truck is white . i didnt take a pic last time i was there

last detail was early september so im hoping they are still in decent condition
hes a heavy smoker so thats always fun

512detail
11-12-2013, 11:23 PM
im going to wear some dish cleaning gloves so hands stay dry. only pain is the prewash on the truck as im sure its going to be wearing lots of mud again.

my girlfriend helped me last time ( she does the interiors) and she wont be there tomorrow so im going to have my work cut out for me as they leave their workplace at 5 or 6. its going to be 32 with windchill at 9. i rescheduked earlier today for 11. it will be 45 then and 54 is expected high so i figure if i do interiors first it will be in the 50 s by the time i wash

Nth Degree
11-13-2013, 12:46 AM
50 degrees is perfect detailing weather. Just start with the interior while the temps are cold. Only open 1 door at a time to prevent cross wind. Could go with the GDWM with warm water if you are really worried about the water temp.

Proceed with caution using APC+ on the wheels. Check to make sure it is safe.

512detail
11-13-2013, 01:07 AM
i normally only use it 4:1 on tires when necessary
10:1 on wheels but never on anything thats high end, thats for my sonax

warm water would be nice but i dont know how long it would stay warm from my house in a bucket and i plan on doing both interiors first so the temp rises to 50 outside
but i did plan on bringing hot water in two or three buckets

Todd@RUPES
11-13-2013, 10:55 AM
I know you are out on the job right now, I hope it turns out well and I am looking forward to the updates. :yourrock

Trouble
11-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Rubber insulated boots

512detail
11-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Rubber insulated boots
i chose wool socks and it worked out well

luckily he called this morning and we moved the vette to friday. so i just detailed his truck today

i will post the picturesvwhen i get back from treating myself to $5 mexican martinis at happy hour

it was a long day, six hours total put in, no breakfast no lunch but i picked up two new accounts while working and booked my whole fridayvbackvagain at the same place,except today the cold front leaves, yah!

512detail
11-13-2013, 06:46 PM
I know you are out on the job right now, I hope it turns out well and I am looking forward to the updates. :yourrock

worst part of the whole day was this morning loading my truck up and i had parked too close to my challenger and the door swung open and it hit my upper rear fender well at the edgenand took a small chip of paint :wall

i almost cried i couldnt believe i could make such a bonehead move

looks like im going to get some practice with touchup paint soon now

Nth Degree
11-13-2013, 07:34 PM
I thought guys from Texas were supposed to be tough guys.:D

512detail
11-14-2013, 09:10 PM
finally got around to posting some pics...

vette was moved to tomorrow due to the cold weather but i was happy that the truck was not covered in mud like last time. i did think it was a little too dirty for onr wash

dp xtreme foam with foam gun, 2 bucket wash with dp xtreme foam
light spot claying needed with megs clay (almost gone now finally)
xmt 360 applied by ccs white hand pad
opti seal
xmt spray wax on top
tires with opti-bond one coat undiluted, foam tire applicator

Trouble
11-15-2013, 01:56 PM
i chose wool socks and it worked out well

Wool socks are great until they get wet

I couldn`t live without my rubber boots

:ra

The Driver
11-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Get these... They are a LIFE SAVER! Todd.. you need to start carrying these for winter detailers. They are a must for winter washes.

Amazon.com: Glacier Glove Premium Waterproof Glove, Black/Blue, Large: Sports & Outdoors