PDA

View Full Version : Should I polish my out-of-sight SUV top?

Pages : [1] 2

DWPC
11-01-2013, 06:49 PM
I`ve cleaned and clayed my Cayenne; ready for polish tomorrow. The top plane is mostly above eye level except to NBA players, so I`m wondering if I should skip machine polishing the "flat" portion roof to avoid unnecessary removal of clear coat thickness, and just go straight to glaze and sealer (1Z Glanz Wax) on it. All surfaces below the top "crease" would get the DA machine polish treatment.

ec90
11-01-2013, 06:58 PM
It`s your car, some people will one step it to save time instead of a two-step. For personal vehicles only of course, but it`s your call. For me it would probably bug me that it wasn`t done, but I can easily see the roofs of all me vehicles so it`s more noticeable.

Nth Degree
11-01-2013, 07:56 PM
From a correction aspect I would say it isn`t necessary if it doesn`t bother you. From a long term protection aspect I would say it is a good idea to give it just a light polishing to clean the paint. A smooth surface will release dirt easier as well making it easier to keep clean. The amount of paint removed from just a light polish would be insignificant.

The Driver
11-01-2013, 08:33 PM
I always do atleast a 1 step on the roof. Honestly, as long as I remove 90% of the swirls in one pass I`m usually happy (On an SUV).

SHOWTIMESHOES
11-01-2013, 09:18 PM
It depends on how OCD about detailing you are. If you`re like me, you wouldn`t even ask the question and just do it. This is why i no longer have my vehicle professionally detailed, steps skipped. On my personal ride, i make sure the wheel barrels, suspension components, brake calipers, muffler, and other hidden components are just as clean and shiny as the paint.

Stokdgs
11-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Here`s the thing -

If you dont clean the paint good enough up there, whatever LSP you put on is not going to stay very long..

I always do the roof/s and they all look as good as the rest of the vehicle.
My personal vehicle looks amazing all the time and so does the roof...

If you are are just a recreational cleaner of cars, then you can do what ever you want.

If you are Detailing professionally, then the entire vehicle gets done - it all has to match...

Good luck !
Dan F

DWPC
11-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Okay, I`m convinced...a light polish on the top. Its in pretty good shape; I don`t think any dealer prep guy ever put a wheel on the top.

RTexasF
11-02-2013, 07:15 AM
;)You have a Cayenne and even ask such a thing? Sacrilege!

Ronkh
11-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Do you only clean half your body in the shower????
Youll find most people here are perfectionists.
it aint done till its all done....

512detail
11-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Okay, I`m convinced...a light polish on the top.

good choice. might as well do it right the first time

your vehicle will thank you

DWPC
11-02-2013, 12:25 PM
I was only questioning whether to machine polish for unseen cosmetics vs. leaving the max paint thickness on the top for protection. Masking the sunroof and rail tracks will take longer than the polishing.

Stokdgs
11-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Think of it this way --

If you really clean, decontaminate, claybar, and run some compound on your top - just as you would do on the rest of the vehicle, you will be getting a lot or hopefully all of the still embedded dirt out of the paint..

I do this all the time - I correct the paintwork and find brown junk on my foam pad that is not the color of the paint or the compound I am using..

Unless your top paint is so horrendously scratched and messed up, you are not going to remove a whole lot of clearcoat anyway, so dont worry about this..

Now that your top is really cleaned, corrected, and very glossy, it is the perfect time to Opti-Coat it and you will never have to do anymore to it again !

It will be totally protected, have an extra layer of product on it that will not come off for a long time - years - and you are totally set !

And it goes without saying that if you do this to the rest of the Cayenne, it will be the only one around that looks that good, and again, the protection will make it so much easier to clean, and you will not have to do much more to it - ever - if you are careful how you wash it so you dont scratch it, and even then, this product is pretty resistant to scratching..

Good luck with this !
Dan F

Swanicyouth
11-02-2013, 01:13 PM
^ that`s exactly what I did, but just OC`ed the roof and bumpers - the parts I hate working on the most. Saved the rest for conventional product fiddling.

PA DETAILER
11-02-2013, 05:53 PM
i drive a xterra. roof and rack is a PITA. roof was sealed. way to go. do it once. done. but you bet, every wash I DO THE ROOF. i get out the step ladder for this. roof air dam i also sealed with wolfgang exterior sealant.

ShaunDugan
11-03-2013, 07:16 AM
The out of sight areas become out of mind. That`s why I always spend the time on the roof of SUVs. Roof racks are like trash traps. The end caps hold all the big debris like leaves and can start rotting out the hardware holding the roof rack on. It is wise to take the end caps off at least once a year to remove leaves and such to keep things clear for water to flow properly. I always advice my clients to take the cross bars off if they don`t use the rack more than once a year. This helps reduce drag and keeps the tracks from building up as much debris. So for the length. Just had to get that out there. So like Mike Phillips says, if it has paint it gets polished. :)