PDA

View Full Version : Black Paint with Grayish Hue...

Pages : [1] 2

basswood
09-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Enthusiast here. Car has been clayed, polished and waxed. I have the PC XP and a myriad of pads plus a number of product. The paint is swirl free but has a bit of self induced marring that I can live with. The harshest product I`ve used is M205.

Of course the paint looks terrific in the shade. Looked at it in the sun today and the black paint takes on a grayish tint. I`m obviously not doing something right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

Ronkh
09-28-2013, 08:28 PM
I wouldn`t be so fast as to say it`s not supposed to look like that....

But what year/model is the car and what`s on it right now?

GearHead_1
09-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Like Ron said, not all Black Paints are created equal.

basswood
09-28-2013, 08:37 PM
2007 Jag XK. LSP is BF BlackICE.

Tom

Ronkh
09-28-2013, 08:39 PM
2007 Jag XK. LSP is BF BlackICE.

Tom

Jet black (flat)
or
Metal flake
or
Pearlized
?

Yours?

basswood
09-28-2013, 08:48 PM
"Those willing to trade freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both."

Amen.

Tom
LTC
USA (Ret)

basswood
09-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Jet black (flat)
or
Metal flake
or
Pearlized?

Not pearlized, not metal flake, not flat but shiny black. :)

Ronkh
09-28-2013, 09:04 PM
I like black Ice, it`s one of the few "latest and greatest" purchases I haven`t regretted.

So being true to my wax waster roots, my advice would be throw on a 2nd coat and see what happens then

Ronkh
09-28-2013, 09:07 PM
or hit it with black hole and then black ice

basswood
09-28-2013, 09:33 PM
or hit it with black hole and then black ice

Ok, I give up. What`s black hole? Why do I feel like I`m being set up on this one?

Three coats of BFBI with plenty of rest time between coats. Probably overkill but it looks and sheets and beads beautifully. Still, grayish in the sunlight.

Would taking it down with M105 or perhaps BF SRC and then polishing and LSP be a possibility? Or, am I being waaaayyy too anal? Nah, not possible.

Let`s start with perfect and we`ll improve from there.

Best,
Tom

Ronkh
09-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Ok, I give up. What`s black hole? Why do I feel like I`m being set up on this one?

Three coats of BFBI with plenty of rest time between coats. Probably overkill but it looks and sheets and beads beautifully. Still, grayish in the sunlight.

Would taking it down with M105 or perhaps BF SRC and then polishing and LSP be a possibility? Or, am I being waaaayyy too anal? Nah, not possible.

Let`s start with perfect and we`ll improve from there.

Best,
Tom

Nope, no set up

black hole is a glaze. it also adds some "extra pop" to the paint as far as i`m concerned.

3 coats of bfbi is good.

mebbe reflection is sooooo good, you`re actually seeing reflection

skibik
09-29-2013, 05:45 PM
I noticed this same thing on my 2012 black Camaro Looks great in the garage but when I backed it out and the sun shining on the it looks like it has a fog on it. In the spring I am going to try a different procedure on finishing with the pads I am using. I finished polishing with the orange pad and used BFGEP with white but think I should have actually did the final polishing with the white and used something even less course for the BFGEP. I just put Finish Kare FK1000P on it for winter protection and it looked like it still had the haze or fog but in the rain it doesn`t have that look.

Only suggestion I have is use a finer polish or less aggressive pad for final polish as that is what I am going to try myself.

Dean. :)

Stokdgs
09-29-2013, 08:54 PM
In my experience with waxes, some will leave a less than clear finish when applied and wiped off.
Another reason why I never use them.

If you were able to achieve as close to Perfect Clarity on your paintwork at the correction stage, then you should be able to see that same Perfect Clarity after you apply your LSP.

And if you are able to find the right LSP, you should be able to even improve the gloss of the Perfect Clarity you achieved at the correction stage..

But as we have always said here, the Prep Stage which includes the Correction Stage has to be as good as possible, or as good as the Client is paying for, in order to achieve and keep that level of Clarity in the paintwork and gloss..

Good luck with your project !
Dan F

lyodbraun
09-29-2013, 08:57 PM
My black sand pearl tacoma looks that way in the sun as well takes on two or three colors depending on how and where ya look at it, lol, post some pics of yours maybe ?

basswood
09-29-2013, 09:14 PM
In my experience with waxes, some will leave a less than clear finish when applied and wiped off.
Another reason why I never use them.

If you were able to achieve as close to Perfect Clarity on your paintwork at the correction stage, then you should be able to see that same Perfect Clarity after you apply your LSP.

And if you are able to find the right LSP, you should be able to even improve the gloss of the Perfect Clarity you achieved at the correction stage..

But as we have always said here, the Prep Stage which includes the Correction Stage has to be as good as possible, or as good as the Client is paying for, in order to achieve and keep that level of Clarity in the paintwork and gloss..

Good luck with your project !
Dan F

That`s what I`m thinking...that I have not done a proper prep to achieve "perfect clarity" prior to applying the LSP. As a noob, I have some hesitation to attacking the paint with something akin to M105 or BF SRC both of which are in my inventory. Perhaps that should be my next step.

I am curious about your comment that you never use waxes. What is your preference for an LSP?

I appreciate your input.

Best regards,
Tom