PDA

View Full Version : Roo-Pay 15/21 v. 7424XP & MF Pads

basswood
09-22-2013, 07:41 PM
A liitle insight from you pro detailers please...

At present simply an enthusiast working on my own cars and as most here probably OCD. Am retiring soon so might consider working on other folks cars. As a former very successful boss once said to me, "perfect is a good place to start and we`ll improve from there."

Currently have the XP with a good inventory of LC pads. I normally use 4 pads per step, alternating and cleaning the pads per each half of the car. I also have a variety of single step product for cleaning, polishing and LSP plus a number of AIO. Just tried the Sonax FP based on Todd`s review and was quite pleased.

My questions are:

Is it worth the major extra dollars investment for the Rupes 15/21 or can I get near the same results by switching to MF pads for cleaning and polishing with the PC XP? My understanding is that hand or foam pads for waxing is preferred.

I prefer smaller pads for some reason. The 5.5 on the PC is comfortable. If I decide on the 21 and it`s feasible, will a smaller backing plate/pad work with it or should I just go with the 15?

Thanks in advance for your input. You folks have already helped this novice tremendously.

Warmest regards,
Tom

Stokdgs
09-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Basswood - (is that also a name for a boat?)

I personally use a Makita 9227C for everything, but purchased a Flex 3401VRG when they first came out years ago to see what the excitement was all about.

Almost everyone in the world has at 1 time or another used a Porter Cable for sanding in a wood shop class, years ago before they ever became popular for car detailing, and I am no exception here too..

Have studied all the hoopla with the Rupes 15 and 21, spoken to probably the best user on the planet about it, who also I believe pioneered the spacer washer behind the backing plate to give the machine more rotation, and his and my consensus would be to have 2 machines - 1 smaller one for the tighter places where only a small machine can fit easily, and the bigger Rupes 21 with both the 6" and 5" backing plates, and the washer mod. He has said that the smaller backing plate will fit with no issues on the Rupes21, so that should answer that question for you as well..

With anything that rotates, a smaller footprint is always going to be easier to keep track of and control, but of course, if you are correcting a big, flat, vehicle, the bigger backing plate and pad is going to speed up the work too..

From everything I hear, the Rupes machine seems to be a hit with about everyone who doesnt already have a lot of other machines that work just great for them.

No one has an idea of their longevity because they just have not been out there long enough, like your Porter Cable, my Flex 3401VRG and my Makita 9227C.

Good luck with your research !
Dan F

Todd@RUPES
09-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Is it worth the major extra dollars investment for the Rupes 15/21 or can I get near the same results by switching to MF pads for cleaning and polishing with the PC XP? My understanding is that hand or foam pads for waxing is preferred.

If equipped with similar pads, the Rupes 15/21 will always correct faster then the PC. It is going to move the pad much further across the paint in a given time frame.

If the question is, will the PC mimic the excellent cutting power if of the Rupes if a microfiber pad is used on the PC and a foam polishing pad is used on the PC... then maybe. I would assume a compounding combination on the PC could possibly match the cutting power of a polishing combination on the Rupes, but you will still have to work it longer and leave behind a less glossy finish.

However, when you get to a paint were even a cutting combination on the Rupes doesn`t have enough ompphhhh, you will be glad to have that extra power.

I prefer smaller pads for some reason. The 5.5 on the PC is comfortable. If I decide on the 21 and it`s feasible, will a smaller backing plate/pad work with it or should I just go with the 15?

Given the 15 is the more versatile machine because you can fit it in more places. The combination of a large stroke and a large pad means that the 21 can be a little tricky to maneuver into tight spots.

However, given the fact you have a PC, you could outfit that with smaller pads and use that for spot polishing, and get a Rupes 21 with a 5-inch backing plate for the other areas.
Thanks in advance for your input. You folks have already helped this novice tremendously.

basswood
09-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Stokdgs & Todd,

Thank you both so much for insight. I truly appreciate your taking the time to try to educate this noob.

Best regards,
Tom

Todd@RUPES
09-24-2013, 05:48 AM
Stokdgs & Todd,

Thank you both so much for insight. I truly appreciate your taking the time to try to educate this noob.

Best regards,
Tom

While I won`t speak for my friend from the Northwest, I can say that it is my pleasure (and I`m sure he would agree!).

:bigups

Stokdgs
09-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Tom -

We are glad to help !

You will find a lot of really good Detailers here and much very useful information as well..

There are way more random orbital users than anything else here too, so getting more info on the Rupes as it gets more fully integrated into the system will be on going.

It looks like a real winner according to all the feedback I have read and listened to in conversations.

Wishing you the best of luck with your research and future purchases !
Dan F