PDA

View Full Version : Engine metal

rockford33
05-20-2004, 10:07 AM
I seem to always be having this problem. I started out by trying to polish my fuel rail. First I tried some chrome polish. Worked pretty good for a short time. Then I wet sanded with 2000 grit sandpaper. Looked great!! Unfortunately, after everytime I clean it, it gets cloudy again like I never cleaned it (even if I don`t drive the car). Anybody else have this problem? How can I can keep this (and other metal pieces) under the hood nice and sparkly? They just don`t seem to stay clean even for a day.

Thanks.

Bob
05-20-2004, 10:16 AM
Sounds like you are using a chemical to clean it that is too harsh on the metal. What are you using?

rockford33
05-20-2004, 10:30 AM
I believe it was Turtle Wax Chrome Polish that my dad had laying around. The wetsanding was done based on advice from a body shop guy that my friend was having polish his valve covers. The fuel rail looks great for a day or so, then clouds up again. Haven`t tried any other pieces under the hood yet.

Bob
05-20-2004, 10:40 AM
Oh, I thought you meant after you cleaned your engine it happened. Thought maybe you were using simple green or something.

A friend of mine used high temp clearcoat on his polished parts and they always looked nice.

Bill D
05-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Perhaps try applying a sealant once you`ve got it all polished. I`m going to try this on my gf`s car, the rapid redulling drives me nuts.