PDA

View Full Version : Water Marks on Black Car

airtas
09-18-2013, 04:19 PM
I was looking for any tips/tricks on drying a black car.

Whatever I do I end up with water droplet marks that I have to use a quick wax to eliminate.

Is it because I have Hard Water?

Is it because my car is black?

Would I have the same marks from a rain storm?

Why do my gun metal painted alloy wheels not show marks?

parttimer
09-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Color plays a major role in what shows up. I feel your pain as the owner of several black cars in my time. Even after drying I find little spots here and there. Sorry I don`t have suggestions.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

skibik
09-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Yes, it is because you have hard water. Once you are done washing your car dry the vehicle with a good waffle weave microfiber towels or chamois if that is what you prefer. The spots that remain you could try a detail spray and microfiber towels to clean them up. You won`t get those white spots from rain provided you have a good wax coat on the vehicle. Rain is considered a soft water but if you are in a big city you may end up with spots from the pollution but not sure. From rain you will end up with dust spots when the drops dry though. I myself usually just leave it until the next wash as not to get swirls and towel marks from dusting them off. Hope this helps.

Dean. :bigups

TacoHerder
09-18-2013, 06:19 PM
I always go over the car with some detail spray after I use a very plush MF towel to dry the car. You have discovered one of the major negatives to owning a black car.

Beemerboy
09-18-2013, 06:35 PM
I always go over the car with some detail spray after I use a very plush MF towel to dry the car. You have discovered one of the major negatives to owning a black car.

This is what I do and greatly help in the water spot problem..

SS 07C70
09-18-2013, 07:11 PM

I do the same. Owning a Black car is a second job! just sayin.

Stokdgs
09-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Need to know what your process is here -

What make, year, model of your car ? What is the name of the black paint ?

Are there metallic particles in the paint that you can see in the sun?

Are you washing and drying your car outside in the sun? shade?

Are you putting the car under cover like a garage after you wash it to dry it ?
Dan F

Bunky
09-19-2013, 06:42 AM
I have had fairly fresh water spots on occasion where I used Duragloss Water Spot Remover that worked where detail sprays did not. It smells like vinegar (why some use vinegar mixture to do same thing) but label says it is something else (likely another acid).

Lou Bunn
09-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Down here at Myrtle Beach, the water is horrible. I always wash in the shade and start drying like fool that set his pants on fire! Still, for my neighbors that don`t and get the waterspots on their cars like a bad rash, there are several products that work. It`s just time consuming. Prevention is worth it`s weight in gold.

Todd@RUPES
09-20-2013, 07:29 AM
Here are some tips I used to avoid water spots when drying your car.

Always wash in the shade. If no shade is available, wash when the sunlight is low and at an angle, never over head.

Prerinse, wash, and rinse at section at a time.

Wash all of the sections that the shade. Because the sun is low, you should be able to wash approximately half of the vehicle that is in the shade first.

Several times through out the wash, stop and take the time to rinse all of the panels thoroughly. Don`t just give it a quick rinse, but blast it. Freshly forming water spots will tend to look like lazy beads of water that do not roll of the surface the way regular water beads do. Blast with the house until all of the water runs clean.

Immediately after washing the last panel, rinse it, then rinse the whole car one more time.

After the final rinse, use the sheeting method to quickly evacuate water from the surface. Take the nozzle off of the hose, reduce pressure and flood the paint with a steady stream of water. The water will cascade off the surface, leaving the surface nearly dry.

Usually when we sheet water, we start at the top and work downwards. When washing in low sunlight, sheet any areas that are exposed to the sun first, then sheet the entire car from top to bottom.

Once you are done sheeting, towel dry the surface immediately. Use a high-quality and soft microfiber towel, such as a Cobra Guzzler. If you are washing during low-sun hours, dry the sections of the paint exposed to the sunlight first, including vertical surfaces. Then dry all horizontal surfaces, then finally and remaining shaded surfaces.

Don`t try to completely dry the car on the first pass and soak up any drop. You will spend too long in one section and let water spots form in the others. Instead, work quickly around the car, getting as much water as reasonable, then come back and focus on the smaller spots.

If you use a blower, use it now, after you towel dried. Trying to blow as much water off the car as possible can be time consuming, and allow water spots to form. Towel dry, then blow, then dry up and spray.

In my career as a professional detailer, I didn`t always have access to shade. I, like many pros, have had to detail black paint when the sun was overhead. Being that Florida is near the equator, this problem is even worse.

I have used the tips above, developed during those moments when I had no options, to successfully wash black paint in the direct sun, with no evidence of water spots. Sure it takes more time, in totality, to constantly rinse the car, or plan the routine so that you wash the exposed parts last and dry them first. However, it can be done.

Todd@RUPES
09-20-2013, 07:29 AM
Down here at Myrtle Beach, the water is horrible. I always wash in the shade and start drying like fool that set his pants on fire! Still, for my neighbors that don`t and get the waterspots on their cars like a bad rash, there are several products that work. It`s just time consuming. Prevention is worth it`s weight in gold.

Agreed Lou!

Swanicyouth
09-21-2013, 08:42 AM
If your serious about detailing invest in a CR Spotless. Its a water deionization tool that takes all the minerals out of the water.

This isn`t something that "helps". This is something that will make a night and day difference. After I wash my black car in the noon sun, I rinse it with the CR Spotless. then I sit down and eat my lunch while the car bakes dry in the sun. No spots at all. I go over it with a QD after that.

This tool is a little costly, but you only use it for the final rinse. Just make sure you keep the car wet while your washing (keep paint temps cool). It really works well, first time I used it I was quite amazed!