PDA

View Full Version : Product Review: Auto Finesse Passion

Pages : [1] 2

TroyScherer
09-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Product Review: Auto Finesse Passion

Introduction:

I was the lucky recipient of some great generosity and kindness of Jim (DrOldz) when he won this wax from Todd @ AutopiaForums. Since Jim already had this wax he decided to have it passed on to someone else and I was the recipient. I was very excited to get this wax because since I have heard such good things about Auto Finesse.

Product Description / Claims:

<Direct from Auto Finesse>
Passion car wax is the first of our “Pro Series” carnauba waxes, this car wax is a blend of pure waxes and oils designed to give the illusion of dripping wet paint. High carnauba wax percentages give it great durability whilst the looks come from the natural oils that are infused. Still following the form of our entire product range, easy to use whilst giving superb results. The passion fruit fragrance makes this car wax a joy to work with.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/gallery/data/686/medium/AF_Passion_1.jpeg

Product Details:

Packaging: Round Plastic Pot with Lid
Directions: It is Carnauba wax. How much direction do we need, or read? (It did take me a little get the hang of Passion)
Color: Yellow / White Carnauba wax (See pictures)
Scent: Fruity
Pricing: $100 for 200ml

Directions:

1. Ensure bodywork is clean, dry and free from contamination
2. If necessary treat paintwork prior to application with a paintwork cleanser
3. Apply wax sparingly with a foam wax applicator pad to form an even film
4. Leave to cure for at least 3 hours before layering
5. If necessary rebuff the surface with a fresh, clean microfiber cloth

Warnings or Precautions:
Keep out of reach of children.
MSDS sheets are available upon request from Auto Finesse. The web link print on the jar links to a password protected page. (| Auto Finesse (http://www.autofinesse.co.uk/msds))

Testing:

For the purpose of this testing and video I applied a fresh coat of Passion and let it cure for 2 days before doing the video of the beading and sheeting. I go into a lot more of the packing and info in the video.
I noted that Passion took a little bit to get the hang of when using. I usually will go ahead and apply wax to an entire vehicle before I start removal. This usually works well for me even with WOWO waxes like WG Fuzion & BFMS. With Passion I found that I need to only do 1 large panel or two smaller ones at a time and then come back and do the removal. Waiting too long made it harder to remove.
Passion is a firmer wax when you open the container, but once you apply it to your applicator it is soft and smooth like butter. For removal I tried long and short nap towels but settle on PakShak Ultra Plush towels. I feel they have the perfect amount of nap while not being overly plush.

Auto Finesse Passion: Beading &amp; Sheeting - YouTube

This is Passion after 3 uses. Based on this it will last a good many applications:

http://www.autopiaforums.com/gallery/data/686/AF_Passion_2.jpeg (http://www.autopiaforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3988)

Pros:
Easy to use once you get your system down.
Looks nice.
Good gloss.

Cons:

Directions are not all that clear and you need to find your own timeframe for removal.

Questions:

Durability?
I wonder how Passion compares to Illusion or Spirit. I am more interested in the comparison with Spirit; as I have been told Spirit is a superb wax.

Final Thought / Summary:

The $100 +/- price range of waxes anymore is fairly competitive. There are a number of choices out there that have their own set of strengths and weaknesses. Passion fits into this arena very well giving you the gloss and depth you desire while being fairly easy to work with once you get the hang of it. If the manufactures claims hold true that this is a fairly good all-around wax I could highly suggest in this price point.
If you like my (YouTube) videos please follow me and hit the like button. And the same with my product reviews hit the like button and comment please.
Comments and questions welcome. Thanks

Mr. Gloss
09-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences with Passion.

That`s the kind of sheeting I like. IMO, sheeting is far more important than beading.

Please share the durability factor when you can.

mrclean81
09-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Good review Troy. I too won a sample of this here a while back and found it to be kind of an odd wax. I loved the beading and sheeting, and it was easy to work with indoors. Outside in the sun though it was a total fail on every level. Its clearly not formulated for mobile guys.

dc52nv
09-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Great review, Troy. Sheeting is incredible.

Evan.J
09-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Nice job Troy. I have some but haven`t used any yet.

Pats300zx
09-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Great review Troy. Thanks for putting it together !!!

mnehls86
09-02-2013, 06:35 PM
:wow: that was some awesome sheeting action! Good review and I really like that you added the working time with it too especially if it isn`t in the instructions.

Ronkh
09-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Great review

Bunky
09-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the review !!

TacoHerder
09-03-2013, 12:25 AM
Have you noticed any cracks in the container? Ive got a few decent ones in my container somehow, and I know I haven`t dropped it. Great review though. I totally agree with everything you said, especially the only con. Direction could be a little clearer as to how long you need to let the wax sit, or if you need to even let the wax sit before removing.

radarryan
09-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Wow! They could market it as self-drying when sheeting. Probably could dry your whole car with a 6"x6" towel rather than needing bath sheets like with some other waxes.

Simply amazing sheeting. Enough said.

Mr. Gloss
09-03-2013, 05:59 AM
It is odd that the label warns to wait three hours before layering yet ignores the initial removal procedure. I`ve been disappointed many times by vague label instructions.

Here`s the process as described by Auto Finesse.

Before waxing, make sure that the vehicle is clean, and cool to the touch. If bonded contamination is present, use a Clay Bar to prep the surface for best results. If the paintwork is lightly marred, or the vehicle has not been polished in the last 6-12 months, it is also advisable to use one of our signature Pre-Wax Cleansers in order to create the maximum shine. Place an Auto-Finesse Waxmate foam applicator inside the pot of wax, and rotate it half a turn to prime the pad with product. This is typically enough wax to protect a single moderately-sized panel, though this may vary depending upon the condition of the paintwork. Apply the wax to the panel with small, overlapping circular strokes, light pressure, and in a consistent pattern to obtain full coverage of the paint. If the applicator feels like it is starting to run dry across the surface, or coverage becomes uneven, return the applicator to the container using another quarter-turn of the pad to re-prime the foam. The goal when waxing is to apply the product as thinly and evenly as possible, since a little bit goes a very long way to protecting and enhancing the shine of your vehicle.
Once you have completed one normal-sized panel, or half of a large one, move on to another section of equal size. When you are done waxing the second section, you will be ready to buff off the wax from the first using a plush Microfiber Towel. Alternating in between buffing and waxing panels until the vehicle is fully protected allows you to maintain the ideal curing times for the wax, and makes for very easy removal of the remaining residue. Auto-Finesse Passion only takes a few minutes to cure, so take care not to let the product dry onto the surface. If the wax has been allowed to dry, or ‘secondary hazing’ of the wax occurs (A phenomenon which can sometimes happen in hot or humid climates, especially if the product was over-applied.), you can use a water-based QD like Auto-Finesse Finale to help ease removal of the residue. When applying multiple layers of wax for extra depth, wetness, and protection, make sure to wait at least 3-hours in between coats to allow the organic solvents to fully flash.

For best results, do not wax the vehicle if the ambient temperature is below 43-degrees Fahrenheit (Approximately 6-degrees Celsius), or above 95-degrees Fahrenheit (35-Degrees Celsius). Waxing in direct sunlight, or conditions of high humidity can respectively lead to over, or under-curing of the product before removal.

TroyScherer
09-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys. I agree the bleeding is good but the sheeting is where it`s at !!!

Have you noticed any cracks in the container? Ive got a few decent ones in my container somehow, and I know I haven`t dropped it. Great review though. I totally agree with everything you said, especially the only con. Direction could be a little clearer as to how long you need to let the wax sit, or if you need to even let the wax sit before removing.

I haven`t noticed any cracks yet. I always try and keep an eye on that. Once thing I do is to make sure I don`t over tighten the lid as that can sometimes do more damage than good.

It is odd that the label warns to wait three hours before layering yet ignores the initial removal procedure. I`ve been disappointed many times by vague label instructions.

I agree. I too prefer to have more complete directions as well.

Smack
09-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the review Troy.

Mr. Gloss
09-03-2013, 08:35 AM
I agree. I too prefer to have more complete directions as well. See, men do want directions!