PDA

View Full Version : paint sealant differences

jbdvm1988
08-28-2013, 07:11 PM
How would users compare the paint protection of griot`s garage paint sealant against cquartz, 22ple, colinate, opti-seal for duration of protection and resistance to swirls/scratches. just trying to find the best for my dark blue audi suv

mrclean81
08-28-2013, 07:26 PM
2 totally different things. 22ple and CQuarts are coatings that should last 2 years or more. Opti Seal and Colinite are sealants (well technially I think Colinite is wax but lasts as long as sealant), and Griots is junk. Trust me on this..youll hate yourself for buying Griots sealant or wax. Its a nightmare to remove and doesnt even look that great. If your looking for long term protection, go for a coating. Opti Coat is the longest lasting and probably the most durable.
Look at it like this. Waxes usually last weeks, sealants last months, and coatings last years.

Stokdgs
08-28-2013, 08:17 PM
The man above said it all the best !

Waxes were/are popular because they put oil on the paint which makes it look very glossy. But being a wax, they also attract and hold onto dirt easier, and depending on your weather and temps, these products will go away very quickly and will require reapplication.

Collinite was originally invented to seal electrical transformers on poles and they did a good job of making a very durable liquid wax that will go a longer time than the traditional waxes you see at the auto parts store, etc...

Optimum Opti-Seal is a spray on clear sealant that is newer technology but still a few years old compared to the newer nano technology sealants like OptiCoat, etc...
It will last longer than waxes but not a very long time..

You will need to prepare your paintwork to apply whatever you decide on, so that the paintwork will be clean and hopefully any minor scratches, swirls, spiderwebbing, etc., will be removed as well.

If I were going to buy something to put on the car that would be easy to use and give me great gloss, protection and perhaps 6 months durability, I would pick Sonax Polymer Net Shield.

Have used it on half dozen or more now, vehicles and it looks great and turns water into little tiny beads that slide off the car.

Its very easy to use, just spray on a small circular, yellow sponge applicator, wipe a small section at a time, and take a microfiber towel and wipe that panel down and thats it. It doesnt ruin the microfiber towels and washes off easily..

The other coatings, 22ple, Opticoat are serious coatings that work great, and require more precise application, and leveling to insure they are smooth, but they when dry and cured, give outstanding protection, and nothing sticks to them very well, especially dirt.

Do your research, let us know what you are leaning toward and we can perhaps give you more feedback..

Dan F

groebuck
08-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Look at it this way you are on a detailing forum - are you really going to put on a coating with two years durability and not do anything else to the car? Hell I think I put on a new combo every other weekend lol.

Todd@RUPES
08-29-2013, 07:30 AM
Look at it this way you are on a detailing forum - are you really going to put on a coating with two years durability and not do anything else to the car? Hell I think I put on a new combo every other weekend lol.

Which is exactly why we offer such a large selection. :bigups

zmcgovern45
08-29-2013, 09:44 AM

Both of my personal vehicles are coated with 22ple VX1 Pro and I absolutely love the ease of maintenance. I will be a coating user for life.

https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/12657_287486808056112_1694796844_n.jpg
^After 1 year, the gloss is still incredible, and even better yet - the car is a breeze to keep clean!