PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: Meg`s D101 (as a tire cleaner)

dc52nv
08-24-2013, 12:29 PM
I decided to purchase D101 on my last order based on some reviews of people saying it was a hidden gem as a tire cleaner. Roshan (ihaveacamaro), made a couple of vids demonstrating how well it works and I have been curious to give it a try for myself. My wheel cleaner for the last few months has been OPC 1:1 and have had great results. Never-the-less, if there was a better product that was cheaper out there, I wanted to get my hands on it.

Products used:
Meg`s D101 (straight)
GG foaming nozzle
Tuf Shine wheel brush

I started to liberally foam the whole tire from bottom to top. Immediately I noticed the white foam turning brown. So far so good. :bigups I should note the tires were dressed 2 weeks ago with Opti-Bond full strength. After letting it sit for about 30 seconds, I proceeded to agitate the tire with my wheel brush and it left a nice brown lather. I scrubbed for a good 30 seconds making sure not to miss a spot. I then rinsed off my wheel brush and noticed something I never experienced with OPC...it left my brush bristles black and sticky. Not too concerned I proceeded to rinse off the tire and watched all the brown crud wash away down my driveway. I applied D101 liberally once again on the same tire and even put some on my tire brush and proceeded to scrub my tire once more. I noticed I was left with a white foamy tire, which tells me the tire is clean. I rinsed off my wheel brush once again and it was still black and sticky. It seemed like nothing came off it from the first time. I then rinsed off my tire and there was no grime washing off it. Bothered by my dirty wheel brush, I applied some more product on my tire and scrubbed harder and longer, determined to come back to a clean wheel brush. Once again I was left with a white foamy tire and once again I was left with a black sticky wheel brush.

I decided to do a test and grabbed my OPC bottle diluted 1:1 and sprayed my tire. Keep in mind that this tire has already been cleaned 3 times by D101 and was left with white foam. As soon as OPC made contact with my tire my jaw dropped as I immediately noticed that so familiar brown foam start to form. I couldn`t believe my eyes. I proceeded to scrub my tire and was left with a brown foamy tire. I grabbed my hose and rinsed off my wheel brush and wouldn`t you know it, it was white again feeling like the first day I got it. I decided to clean the tire one more time with OPC and was left with a white foamy CLEAN tire.

Conclusion:
I must say that I was disappointed in Meg`s D101 as a tire cleaner. I was hoping this would be the start of a wonderful relationship but I feel as if I was left at the alter. For those wondering, the tires were Firestone and they had 2 coats of Opti-Bond that was applied 2 weeks ago. I`m wondering if my dressing was too thick for the cleaner to break down completely. I am not giving up on it just yet. I will do another review on it on my car that has Bridgestone tires with a coat of PERL straight and will be 2 weeks of it on by next week. As for now, OPC is still the champ in my book. :bow By no means am I blaming Roshan or any members that had great things to say about this cleaner. I am confident D101 worked great for them and I`m glad it did. Like any other product out there, your mileage will vary. Just because it works great for others doesn`t necessarily mean that it will work for you. I will post my review next week when I do my tires. I will include pictures next time to show the results. Thank you for taking the time in reading my long review of this product. I know it can get boring without pictures so I thank you for your time.

Dr Oldz
08-24-2013, 12:32 PM
I have me never been impressed by it at all. I think it`s just colored water TBH!

Ronkh
08-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Well, I know what I ain`t getting

I`ve always had luck with PB APC and a brush

Wors
08-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Nice review. Give Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner a try sometime.

I clean tires with D101, OPC, or BF APC first then follow up with Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner.

dc52nv
08-24-2013, 01:14 PM
I have me never been impressed by it at all. I think it`s just colored water TBH!
:lol2:

Well, I know what I ain`t getting

I`ve always had luck with PB APC and a brush
I had good luck with PB APC as well as a tire cleaner. Once I ran out of it I decided to give OPC a try and loved it so bought 2 gallons of it. I`ll probably purchase a gallon of PB APC once I run out.

Nice review. Give Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner a try sometime.

I clean tires with D101, OPC, or BF APC first then follow up with Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner.
I have a gallon of it but quickly ran out. I should have done the same and used it as a last step instead of using it from the very beginning. I plan on purchasing the concentrated version. Have you used the concentrated version?

Wors
08-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I only have the Concentrated version now. It works just as good as the RTU.

Bunky
08-24-2013, 05:59 PM
I have always had better luck with OPC over Meg`s APC+ but still want to try APC.

tropicsteve
08-24-2013, 07:56 PM
i`m surprised, after rashon`s review, i used it full strength and it worked great on my uncoated goodyear at tires.

ihaveacamaro
08-25-2013, 08:24 AM
:( I`m sorry you didn`t get the same results.

Some people have PM`d me that it works extremely well and others have sent me messages that they weren`t impressed.

Maybe there is something to the notion that it doesn`t work well on some tires or on tires with certain dressings on there.

Thanks for the honest review, and sorry again that it didn`t work for you!

It just works so well for me!

dc52nv
08-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I only have the Concentrated version now. It works just as good as the RTU.
Good to know. :bigups

I have always had better luck with OPC over Meg`s APC+ but still want to try APC.
If you want to try D101 PM me your address and I`ll send you some.

i`m surprised, after rashon`s review, i used it full strength and it worked great on my uncoated goodyear at tires.
I honestly think this stuff will work great on tires that have no dressing or dressing other than Opti-Bond. Opti-Bond is very thick and can be a PITA to remove if you don`t use a strong cleaner. Even OPC at 4:1 had trouble removing this stuff. After bumping it 1:1 I had zero problems.

:( I`m sorry you didn`t get the same results.

Some people have PM`d me that it works extremely well and others have sent me messages that they weren`t impressed.

Maybe there is something to the notion that it doesn`t work well on some tires or on tires with certain dressings on there.

Thanks for the honest review, and sorry again that it didn`t work for you!

It just works so well for me!
There`s no need to apologize, Roshan. I have no doubt this stuff worked great for you as it was evident on your vids. Maybe it does have something to do with tires or certain dressings. You were the reason the main reason I started using OPC for tire cleaning after watching your vid on how well it performed.

I will give D101 one more try on different tires with PERL dressing and see how well it does. I`ll post pics this time along with the review.

skibik
08-25-2013, 11:36 AM
I think it all depends on the tire dressing that was on the tire to begin with on how well the stuff cleans. I opted just to go down the local Auto Value and buy a jug of Purple Cleaner APC for a third the cost of the megs and it gets my tires clean. I don`t have a foaming sprayer but you can still see the brown gunk roll off the tire. For about $7 a gallon I like the results I get and it doesn`t break the bank to get them clean. JMO!

Dean.