PDA

View Full Version : Animated Icons

dtailthis2
05-18-2004, 09:13 AM
I know everyone loves those animated pictures under their names, but im using a T1 connection and it slows the hell out of browsing topics.

The Fuzz
05-18-2004, 09:56 AM
You can choose not to see them in your profile. I went in and changed it for you so you can`t see them anymore.

CharlesW
05-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by The Fuzz
You can choose not to see them in your profile. Does this apply to only the animated avatars, or will it also eliminate all avatars?

Charles

Jngrbrdman
05-18-2004, 10:39 AM
I think it takes out all avatars. The option is to view avatars or not view avatars. You can do the same thing for all other attachments and VB code images.

CharlesW
05-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman
I think it takes out all avatars. The option is to view avatars or not view avatars. You can do the same thing for all other attachments and VB code images. Thanks. That was the only option I found, but quite often I miss things.

Charles

Jngrbrdman
05-18-2004, 11:07 AM
When I was an administrator on Autopia there were a great number of things that I could do to an account that you don`t have the option of doing to your own. It was pretty cool. I don`t know if turning off images and all that is something you can do yourself, but if it annoys you then I`m sure that Dwayne or Fuzzy boy can turn them off for you.

CharlesW
05-18-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman
but if it annoys you then I`m sure that Dwayne or Fuzzy boy can turn them off for you. Actually, I don`t pay much attention to most of them. I do have cable so it isn`t really a problem.

Charles

groebuck
05-18-2004, 01:39 PM
ummm a T1 is a pretty fast connection.... ???

Jngrbrdman
05-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by groebuck
ummm a T1 is a pretty fast connection.... ???

That`s what I was thinking. I`m on a T1 at work and that is nothing to sneeze at. Its a hell of a lot faster than my 28.8 kbps dialup at home. :lol If something is running slow then its probably a virus or something on your computer because avatars aren`t going to slow down a T1.

CharlesW
05-18-2004, 02:07 PM
FWIW
While I know nothing about computers, I did just try disabling the avatar feature.
It did make a difference in the scrolling speed of this post, even on my cable connection. Because of animation or just the graphics or my imagination, I have no idea. Anyway, since the avatars are now disabled, I guess I will leave them that way for awhile. :dunno

Charles

Jngrbrdman
05-18-2004, 02:12 PM
I think most of it is because of avatars like The Fuzz and Clean Dean in this thread. Clean Dean`s avatar is 498,944 bytes and The Fuzz`s is 50,547 bytes. Mine in comparison is only 6209 bytes. I suppose if they limited the size of the avatars by file size as well as dimensions then things would go faster for everybody.

dtailthis2
05-18-2004, 03:24 PM
im not talking about the smiley faces

im talking about the animated pictures to the left of a post. Someone has a slide show of like 6 cars, and whenever i scroll down a post and hit one of them it just jams.

I think i have T3 actually, sorry i got carried away

Jngrbrdman
05-18-2004, 03:34 PM
Who was talking about smilies? I think everybody was talking about the picture under your name. They are called `avatars`.

Agent Phonar
05-18-2004, 03:38 PM
I think i have T3 actually, sorry i got carried away

A T3 is even faster then a T1. Maybe your computer is out dated or needs more memory. Could be a virus like someone else said. There are numerous things it could be but your internet connection isnt one of them.

groebuck
05-18-2004, 11:36 PM
There is a limit on avatars it`s >500K I made CD`s for him so I know :) - 500K is not much and yup a T3 is much faster than a T1!