PDA

View Full Version : direct tv

Pages : [1] 2

PA DETAILER
07-22-2013, 12:03 PM
well, cable has reached $75/month which is BS. anyone have direct and how do you like it? i see if you order on line all equipment and install is free. just looking at alt. at this point. i am sure it has it downfalls too....

TroyScherer
07-22-2013, 12:14 PM
well, cable has reached $75/month which is BS. anyone have direct and how do you like it? i see if you order on line all equipment and install is free. just looking at alt. at this point. i am sure it has it downfalls too....

I had Dtv for 6-8 years and loved it. I had the HD and multiple TV hook-ups. It can soon get very expensive as well so make sure you know the cost of everything you want.

Dtv has obviously had a large amount of channels and shows, as well as most of it was full HD all the time. I also had good customer service every time I needed something or called in. I had managed to get quite a bit of discounts built up over the years due to "good customer" discounts and "price matching" to stay with them.

mrclean81
07-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Ever see the commercials for Dish saying that they kepp adding channels while Direct keeps taking them away, but they keep raising their prices? Well thats true. Direct wont ever get another dime from me. Dish is the way to go imo.

colinpd137
07-22-2013, 01:32 PM
I just switched from Time Warner to AT&T U Verse last week because they we`re hiking my rate every month, I was weary at first because I hate AT&T Cell Carrier. So far so good.

tropicsteve
07-22-2013, 06:55 PM
i`m about ready to change from brighthouse tampa bay. it`s up to about $110 a month & no movie channels. had dtv years ago & liked it, but you do tend to lose the signals during heavy rain & storms.

Addicted2Bling
07-22-2013, 07:06 PM
I don`t even watch cable anymore, if there`s an episode I want to watch, 99% of the time I`ll be able to find it online. Between that, Redbox and Netflix, there`s really no need for it. IMO of course...

mrclean81
07-22-2013, 07:52 PM
I spend a lot of time in front of the TV at night. Velocity is a very addicting channel for a car fanatic.

RTexasF
07-22-2013, 07:56 PM
I pay $127 a month for DirecTV and have had it for about six years. The "free" installation may not be free because there can`t be any splitters in the lines so they have to get in the attic and run direct lines to each outlet. We have one HDTV/digital recorder and three regular boxes. Channels chosen are not the best they offer but a couple of notches down from that. Cable service (Time Warner) where I live is so terrible I would pay almost any price to get rid of them. The exception is RoadRunner since the other options for internet are slim to none so I cough up for that in addition to DTV.

Initially the dish was installed in a bad area so I had to pay to have it moved. Also there were a LOT of problems initially and I spent weeks on the phone trying to get them corrected. They finally did so and gave me a huge credit due to all the problems which I documented by date, time, and the name of the individual sent out. I also got $100 off my bill because one worker never showed up at all. All in all it was a pain in the ass initially but I`ll still take it over Time Warner.

Every city if different due to the company that provides the service, most are franchised. It`s the luck of the draw. In spite of the initial grief would I go back to cable? No friggin way!

If you live where there are a lot of storms be prepared to be without TV for short periods of time. The worst I`ve seen has been about 20 minutes.

My next door neighbor has Dish and has had not problems but her channel selection is no better than basic cable with her channel choices. Picture and audio are just so so. It still beats cable here but I`ll stick with DTV since I see Dish as trying hard but they have a long way to go to even equal DTC much less surpass it in spite of the initial problems I endured.

JHL88
07-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Ever see the commercials for Dish saying that they kepp adding channels while Direct keeps taking them away, but they keep raising their prices? Well thats true. Direct wont ever get another dime from me. Dish is the way to go imo.

I agree. I can`t really say anything negative about DISH. I`ve had DirecTV before and they do get expensive. I like Verizon Fios which I think is the best traditional cable out there however IDK how expensive it is (parents have it).

Stokdgs
07-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Verizon fiber optic or anything fiber optic would have to be the absolute best. There is so much bandwidth available on fiber. It blows everything away.
Unfortunately not every area has it, and certainly up here in ultra-liberal sandals with socks tree huggers, it will probably never make it.
I have direct TV new install since Feb of this year, and its ok. Have 1 Genie HD DVR and 2 little remote boxes ttl 3 TV`s.
Its ok; there is a slight delay even if you are talking to the HD Ginie box. The remote boxes have more delay.
Picture in HD with a good TV is like being there live.
Music is not good, because it never has been good via Satellite anyway.

DanF

screamng
07-22-2013, 10:33 PM
I had Direct TV for 13 years. Just was able to switch to FIOS. I went from ~$180 down to ~$99 for three services (TV, Phone, Computer). TV service is WAY better with FIOS than Direct TV.

PA DETAILER
08-02-2013, 10:30 PM
guess i`ll find out. install is this wednesday.

groebuck
08-04-2013, 10:49 PM
I switched from TWC to Direct TV- man the difference was night and day in HD. TWC HD is sooo compressed it is not funny. Even the better half said "is the picture better somehow?" and that is the best compliment coming from someone who knows nothing about anything having to do with tech.

Lou Bunn
08-05-2013, 09:16 AM
I had the old Prime Star way back in the day, they were bought out by Directv and I`ve had them for 12 years or more now. Is it perfect? No, I wish I could get rid of some channels and add a couple that I would actually watch, and I`m not talking HBO stuff either. But, the customer service has always been excellant and my neighbor who switched to TWC, switched back after a month of pain with those guys! Not sure about Dish, I`ve heard it`s fine and I`ve heard it wasn`t and they switched back to Directv.
I`d say try it!

PA DETAILER
08-05-2013, 12:10 PM
well kind of excitied to see what it can provide. got a add. discount for giving the neighbors name. and he also gets a discount.