PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Protect Dipped Wheels?

Onepoint8tee
06-27-2013, 07:52 PM
So I just plastidipped my wheels with dipyourcar.com`s new anthracite color and they turned out great. Now I`m wondering what the best way is to protect them. I`ve heard I can use Klasse HG SG, which I`m pretty sure on the bottle says safe for rubber, but does anyone have experience with that? My main concern is buffing the excess off the dip without marring / tearing the dip.

Also, how would the sealant hold up against a wheel cleaner? Right now I`m using Griots Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner which I like a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Dcox9
06-27-2013, 10:25 PM
I`ve had my wheels done ever since I`ve had my envoy. I never had a thought to protecting them with anything else. I had about four coats on there. I would just wash them every so often and they held up just fine. I`m actually about to redo them with a coat of gloss on top of the black.

Onepoint8tee
06-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Yeah I know most people don`t worry about it and they have no problems, but I`d rather have the peace of mind knowing I`ve done all I can haha. And also, their glossifier (which I also used) leaves a bit of a tacky feeling for some reason, and I`ve read that a coat of wax or sealant can take that away. Also, the klasse would possibly add some shine.

I`m thinking that if I put on a coat of klasse, I would probably be able to just use car soap and a rag to clean the brake dust off if I clean them regularly..

Edit: Also, on dipyourcar.com, members have done tests where they put a spray wax or liquid wax over dip and had a noticeable difference in defense against scratches

Beemerboy
06-28-2013, 12:31 PM
You want a designated wheel sealant, that is a high temp product and will holdup to the heat of the wheel.

Poorboys Wheel Sealant is my go to!

Onepoint8tee
06-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Would that work on rubber though?

DavidsonTaylor
07-05-2013, 04:13 AM
Plasti dipping is kind of remarkable, really. Plasti dip coating will last for almost 3 years. It will not lose its bond and it will hold up to heat. It is extremely resistant to winter ice, sun fading, salt etc. I would suggest putting 4 to 5 coats for durability. I got my car plasti dipped last month. My people used it on my wheels and emblems. You can use a protector spray for the coating.

Todd@RUPES
07-05-2013, 09:33 AM
I would probably stick with a rubber/trim protectant such as Ultima`s Tire and Trim Guard

Mavin
07-05-2013, 12:03 PM
I would think ultima or wolfgang exterior trim sealant would work well on the plastic.

Any pics of your wheels?? Thinking about that anthracite.

Mavin
07-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Well I pulled the trigger on the Anthracite, looks pretty sweet. Audi break dust drives me nuts and this should help hide it atleast :)

Onepoint8tee
07-06-2013, 02:02 AM
Oh damn sorry Mavin, didn`t see your post till just now! I`ve been planning on getting pictures of the wheels but weather has been so crappy here lately. How`d yours turn out?

And I`ll look into Ultima, thanks Todd!

jvs1991
07-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Well I pulled the trigger on the Anthracite, looks pretty sweet. Audi break dust drives me nuts and this should help hide it atleast :)

I might actually get the anthracite. Did you get the glossifier?

Mavin
07-06-2013, 12:49 PM
I might actually get the anthracite. Did you get the glossifier?

Yea I got the kit with 4 cans of anthracite and 1 can of gloss. For $50, pretty small risk and easily can take it off. The color looks pretty sweet in the videos/pics I have seen.