PDA

View Full Version : Clay to Wax...skip Polish?

svtcobra
06-17-2013, 03:01 PM
I have a 2003 Cobra that is 95% of the time in the garage(never sees rain or snow). Actually, just haven`t had much time to drive it.

Here`s my situation: I just used Blackfire claybar on it last Friday. The paint looks amazing(smooth and no swirl marks). I just thought to myself should I even polish the paint? or should I skip to waxing?

The last time the car was polished(used Menzerna and BlackFire enhancing gloss) was in 2011. In 2011 I clayed the car, used Menzerna polish once, and then twice Blackfire enhancing glass, and then used Blackfire carnuba twice.

2012 the car was just washed a few times as it was hardly driven.

Should I just use Blackfire Enhancing gloss once and skip Menzerna polish since it`s more stronger? Appreciate any suggestions/advice.

PS: great to be back on this forum as it`s been a while!

colinpd137
06-17-2013, 03:08 PM
I`d just do a quick "light" claybar, then throw some wax on there & be done with it if you say its swirl free. No need to polish.

cleanmycorolla
06-17-2013, 03:11 PM
I do this all the time! If your paint is where you want it, then why bother. However, I will usually clay, paint cleaner, LSP. In that order. I feel a good pre wax cleaner like BF GEP or Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion is a nice quick step to clean the pain and bring out just a little more shine before your LSP of choice.

tropicsteve
06-17-2013, 03:15 PM
i say use the blackfire gloss enhancing polish and go right to your lsp. if your finish already looks pretty good, it does a great job at cleaning and doing some filling without any abrasives. if you have time, hit with some bfwd first and follow up with some bfms. love the look it gives.

PPLd
06-17-2013, 10:37 PM
How about a good cleaner wax like BF, Opt or Meguiars?

wdmaccord
06-17-2013, 10:54 PM
Even when I clayed my brand new car I felt like the finish was a little dull. Personally, I don`t think I would go straight to an LSP without at least polishing. That`s just me.

Mavin
06-18-2013, 09:05 AM
You can do a paint cleaner if you dont want any cut prior to LSP after clay

wdmaccord
06-18-2013, 09:35 AM
You can do a paint cleaner if you dont want any cut prior to LSP after clay

Agreed. If you don`t need to remove any minor swirls or scratches, something like BF WDAFPP would work prior to an LSP. I`ve done that in some of my experimenting with good results.

jvs1991
06-18-2013, 10:37 AM
As others have said if the paint is in good shape just use a paint cleaner with a finishing pad to get some extra gloss and slickness before you slap a coat of wax on.

svtcobra
06-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the helpful replies! I`m going to do a quick polish with BlackFire Enhancing gloss. Then BF carnuba(multiple times) :)

Question: If my BF Enhancing gloss is 3.5 years old and has been kept indoors at room temperature throughout...should I still use it?

Todd@RUPES
06-18-2013, 02:50 PM
i say use the blackfire gloss enhancing polish and go right to your lsp. if your finish already looks pretty good, it does a great job at cleaning and doing some filling without any abrasives. if you have time, hit with some bfwd first and follow up with some bfms. love the look it gives.

I would agree with this 100%. Polish if necessary. If not, use a good paint cleaner (in your case BF GEP) and enjoy!