PDA

View Full Version : megs wheel brightner

PA DETAILER
05-17-2013, 06:15 AM
read the desp. can be mixed 4:1 my question is would you call it safe for factory cc wheels? and how would it do on the tires?

thanks.

edit: i see its acid based, so it could prove to be harmfull.....

Lou Bunn
05-17-2013, 07:40 AM
I`ve used it for years with only a one issue. There will be some that will tell you this stuff is next to snorting straight cancer up your nose but I`ve never experienced any side effects. Do - wash with soap and rinse the wheel BEFORE using it and NEVER let it dry, even with WB, you`re going to have tro use a brush on those nasty baked on Mercedes / BMW wheels, rinse, and I use an alkalin APC to neutralize the effects and then wash with soap again - rinse. Maybe overkill but it works for me. Why use it? It works plain and simple and unless you enjoy spending a LOT of time on wheels, then it`s a product you should have. I want to stress, dilute it 4:1, and only use it when it`s needed, after you get your wheels clean, soap/water should maintain them or APC if you have that greasy tire dressing sling thing going on.
Issues - just 1, I (my fault) let it dry on a Chevy truck wheel and it made it very dull, I had to break out the PC, orange LC pad and a little M105 to polish it out. Then that wheel looked SO good I had to polish the rest of them so they would all match. The owner was really blown away and was happy happy happy as Phil would say.

Pats300zx
05-17-2013, 09:25 AM
I always use it at 4:1 and have never had any issues. Like Lou said above just make sure that you rinse well after use since it is acidic. It does clean some nasty wheels like no other.

Todd@RUPES
05-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Meguiar`s Wheel Brightner is strong-cleaning, powerful wheel acid. It isn`t the strongest wheel cleaner we carry (that would go hand`s down to PoorBoy`s Spray & Rinse) but it is a good value with good cleaning...It also is safe for most wheels (not recommended for use on polished aluminum or anodized) IF you use proper precautions..

Do not apply to a hot or even warm wheel surface
Do not allow to dry on the surface
Use breathing protection
Agitate and rinse immediately and thoroughly

For my money, I would look at Poorboy`s Spray & Rinse. While it is not quite as cost effective, it is AS safe as Wheel Brightner and much more powerful. It it the only wheel cleaner I have used that requires little-to-no agitate, even on heavily caked on brake dust.

Cwallace
05-18-2013, 04:09 AM
I hope it`s safe, I just ordered my first gallon!!

Pats300zx
05-18-2013, 06:47 AM
I hope it`s safe, I just ordered my first gallon!!

You will have no problems as long as you use it properly.

daveinsweethome
05-18-2013, 10:20 AM
i use it and love it. you might try some malco brake off if the acid part seems scary. it is an excellent product too. everyone hit the nail of the head just be careful and rinse the hell out of it

Orinda Auto Detail
05-18-2013, 10:33 AM
I buy 55 gallon drums of this stuff at a time. We use it daily on a lot of car because it works soooo fast. Dulition is important and a mask. I accidently inhaled some one time(I was being stupid) I ended up in the ER with what the dr said was "A bad sunburn on the inside of my lungs" Not fun I was there for 2 days. And as Todd said don`t use it on aluminum or it will smoke the rim. To keep it simple for the employees I just tell if the rims not factory don`t spray it. If you do accidently smoke a rim.. It can be polished out but its some work for sure.