PDA

View Full Version : Question for you seasoned guys...

YNOT
05-06-2013, 06:00 PM
As some of you know, we bought a 2001 Ford EDGE Sport edition last June. Honestly, my schedule was so hectic that I never got to wax it before winter and have been itching to really go over it all and give her a good `detailing/polishing` not that she needs much, but you know what I mean. ;)

Here`s the dilemma...I know this car has some kind of factory paint protectant on it, just don`t know exactly what Ford uses.

So...while there are hardly any visible swirls, I`d still like to clay and polish it and really do it up and make it deep and wet looking with my usual Poorboy`s stuff and some decent wax. But without knowing what`s on it, will clay/polishing it even help? Do I somehow have to strip off whatever the factory protectant is, or is that stuff usually just BS and I can polish and wax as usual with little to no issues?

Any help you guys can offer, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

tropicsteve
05-06-2013, 06:54 PM
i`ve never heard of ford applying a factory paint coating. the local dealer may have applied some type of coating, usually a sealant type. you can usually wax over top of a sealant or coating, but it may not last as long as normal unless both have similar polymers, etc to increase bonding.(bfwd + bfms are a good example). if you have swirls and you want to correct them, you will have to compound and/or polish them out. that will wear the coating down, if not remove it. i would still clay the surface no matter what you do.

RTexasF
05-06-2013, 06:56 PM
A 2001 model? Whatever they put on there is LONG GONE. Just do your normal routine. Even if you goofed and meant 2011 model.........just do your normal routine.

Evan.J
05-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Well you can wash using a aggressive soap like CG wash and gloss decontaminate with something like iron x or trix both by carpro then clay and proceed with a teat spot to dial in the plan of attack.

I had something similar on my truck called auto butler (junk). I wasn`t happy the dealership put it on even after asking them not to. With that plan above it should remove anything that has been installed by the dealer.

Ronkh
05-06-2013, 07:23 PM
As some of you know, we bought a 2001 Ford EDGE Sport edition last June. Honestly, my schedule was so hectic that I never got to wax it before winter and have been itching to really go over it all and give her a good `detailing/polishing` not that she needs much, but you know what I mean. ;)

Here`s the dilemma...I know this car has some kind of factory paint protectant on it, just don`t know exactly what Ford uses.

So...while there are hardly any visible swirls, I`d still like to clay and polish it and really do it up and make it deep and wet looking with my usual Poorboy`s stuff and some decent wax. But without knowing what`s on it, will clay/polishing it even help? Do I somehow have to strip off whatever the factory protectant is, or is that stuff usually just BS and I can polish and wax as usual with little to no issues?

At the risk of getting hung by some members..

Dawn wash
regular wash w 2 oz of apc added

Then pro polish after clay

YNOT
05-07-2013, 10:08 AM
A 2001 model? Whatever they put on there is LONG GONE. Just do your normal routine. Even if you goofed and meant 2011 model.........just do your normal routine.

My apologies...it`s a 2012 model...don`t know why I said 2001...LOL.

YNOT
05-07-2013, 10:12 AM
i`ve never heard of ford applying a factory paint coating. the local dealer may have applied some type of coating, usually a sealant type

True...I think I said factory paint protectant, but it was something added by the dealer. Sounds like I shouldn`t have any major issues getting rid of it. I was afraid maybe this was something I`d have to really work to remove.

As I said, she`s got a nice shine on her, but I think I can make it look much better, just need a weekend with nothing going on so I can dive into it.

Nth Degree
05-07-2013, 10:51 AM
You shouldn`t have any issues. A strong wash and clay should eliminate most anything on there. Polishing will take care of the rest. Occasionally any leftover wax/sealant can react funny with a polish and gum up a pad, but you should be fine. Test a spot. If all goes well,you`re good to go. If there are any issues you will know right away and you can come back here for more help. There is little chance of causing any damage that can`t be easily remedied.

Beemerboy
05-07-2013, 11:06 AM

Is there a aftermarket protection the dealership put on the car? Most of the time those are sold to the owners at a high cost, but in your case. You seem to think there is something more than just clear coat and that`s why I`m asking. Did the factory put some sort of poly or synthetic product on?

All that said, nothing IMO could harm the finish with a good washing / clay and PB PP followed with a EXP and Nattys...It`s my go to for my cars

Merlin
05-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Did you purchase it direct from the dealership?

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/merlinhd03/Harley%20Truck/100th_harley.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/ban/wxBanner?bannertype=miniDial&zip=33472 Merlin

YNOT
05-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Did you purchase it direct from the dealership

Yes, we bought the Edge from the local Ford dealer. However, the car was located in Memphis, TN and driven to us in St. Louis, MO.

So once the car arrived in STL we looked the car over to be sure it was all in one piece and had no visible damage, we made the purchase. The dealer in Memphis had had the protectant applied at their dealership somehow. Not sure what it was, it was just called out as a "paint protectant" on the paperwork.

I just wasn`t sure if this was something that was `permanent` or something that was irreversible, but judging by what everyone is saying here, it looks like I can strip/clay the car and should have no issues polishing it as I do my other cars.

Had this been given to me as an option, I would never ordered it, but since it was already applied to the car, we had no choice. In fact, in our search for the 2012 Sport edition, this was one of only three left and the other two were ruled out on color and options.

And here`s a pic the day we bought it last year...just because I absolutely love this car (other than the SYNC)...

http://www.satanclauz.com/mynot/EDGE_dealer_rear.jpg

Ronkh
05-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Lots of dealerships apply it or similar to jack up their sticker along with other garbage so they have more wiggle room in negotiating as well as over inflating the price

Merlin
05-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Dawn, Iron-X, Clay, Polish and apply your favorite LSP...and enjoy your new car!

skibik
05-07-2013, 06:10 PM
I am still a rookie at this. But last fall I washed car with Dawn(yeah, yeah I know), that took care of some of it. I then clayed the car the took care of most of the rest. Then I polished with Meguiar`s Ultimate Polish and then I wipe the polish clear with Griot`s Garage pre-wax cleaner. I then put on a couple coats of Finish Kare FK1000p high temp wax for winter protection and it seemed to last a long time, close to 6 months, the last month I am in dire need of getting the car detailed again. Our nice days lately are during the week and not on the weekends so hopefully this weekend but weather sounds like cold and rain.

Dean. :bigups