PDA

View Full Version : Paint finish issues

IAFF78
04-28-2013, 12:52 PM
http://mob63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/k140db/IMAG0242.jpg

I own a 04 Chevy Trailblazer (metallic blue) and i owned a 2002 TB before that. I noticed that on my 04 which i didn`t ever notice on my 02 is that the paint when clean and shiney, has a blurry finish. The whole vehicle has this look. Now, i did hit a deer with my 04 and had the front end repainted, but its the whole vehicle which has this look. It reminds me of a blurry picture when i look at the reflections. It also looks like it has thousands of tiny dimples in the paint sorta like a golf ball. The pictures i have attached are of the hood after i did some correcting. In the pics, if you look at the roofline on the one and the orange light in the other, you should see what I`m talking about.
Heres what i did to attempt to correct the finish:
Wash and clayed
Meguiars ultimate compound using the LC 5.5" yellow foam flat pad
Meguiars ultimate polish using the LC 5.5" orange foam flat pad
Mequiars ultimate caranuba wax using the LC 5.5" blue flat pad.
GG 6" DA polisher
Products removed with 360 gsm microfiber towel
Since some of the swirls/scratches didnt come completely out during this process, I am debating on stepping up to the Meguiars M105 & M205 and use a microfiber cutting pad. I hope that will be more aggressive then the "ultimate" line and hopefully remove the defects.
As the haziness/dimple appearance goes, I have a gut feeling that some wet sanding is in my near future.
Any tips/suggestions/input you guys/gals might have?
Thanks,
Kevin

http://mob63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/k140db/IMAG0231.jpg

Old Pirate
04-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Hard to see from your pictures, but it could be overspray and orange peel on the surface. But without being there and seeing it in person, it`s hard to tell.

IAFF78
04-28-2013, 06:55 PM
I was thinking orange peel too. It just seems like with what I`m using, I cant get that mirror reflection. I think the products I`m using just isn`t aggressive enough. I`m hoping the microfiber pad and meg`s m105 and 205 will do a better job. Ultimately, if it is orange peel then I think wet sand and buffing is the only route.

Todd@RUPES
04-29-2013, 08:39 AM
While its hard to see in the picture, from your description, it definitely looks like orange peel. The only way to fully remove orange peel (or reduce it) is to sand it or polish it using Car Pro`s Orange Peel Removing pads (on a rotary polisher).