PDA

View Full Version : Removing dealer decal

baseball07
03-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Hi, I have a plastic dealer decal on the back of my car and I am considering removing it. I am not concerned with the actual removal (little heat too pull it off and solvent to remove the glue), but the difference in paint color between under the decal and the rest of the car due to oxidation/sunlight exposure of the paint. My car is about 7 years old. Can it be blended using compound?

glen e
03-25-2013, 07:16 PM
not really...let the sun do it over time....

wendell jarvis
03-25-2013, 07:31 PM
You can either use a heat gun or a Hair Dryer........

Nth Degree
03-25-2013, 07:52 PM
The paint under the decal has been protected from the sunlight for so long that it is going to be slightly different. No amount of polishing will eliminate it. Over time it should balance out. The color of the paint will affect how big the difference is.

Merlin
03-26-2013, 09:19 AM
I might suggest trying removal with Goo Gone and plastic razor blades.

Shockwav86
03-26-2013, 09:41 AM
After its heated, try some dental floss or fishing line behind it to pop it off.

Beemerboy
03-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Start with heating up the area, just be-careful as to how much heat..then with a plastic razor blade grab an edge and start peeling back a little a time. It can be time consuming.

Then with a cotton rag ( one you`ll throw out) you can use either WD40, Goo Gone or 3M Adhesive remover ( available at craft stores) will do the trick.

Lastly the paint under the decal will be lighter, but a good polishing will lighten it up to the point you won`t really see it. It certainly will be a lot less noticeable than the decal.

I`ve done a lot of de-badging and not one car did the paint not match up to everyones satisfaction.

Whosdady
03-26-2013, 10:57 AM
If you have already removed the rubbery stuff with WD40 or Goo be Gone, I would suggest Megs ScratchX for the removal of the decal shadow.

baseball07
03-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Ok thanks for the suggestions. I think I am going to take the plunge...

Husker Z
03-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Ok thanks for the suggestions. I think I am going to take the plunge...

You should be fine. I`ve removed all emblems from all of my cars, ranging from older cars to newer and all colors. The only one I ever noticed a difference on was a GMC pickup I owned and it was black. I took the Z71 off the sides and you could see the outline, but only when it was hit with direct sun and only if you stared at it. At the time I didn`t have my PC, so I wasn`t able to take care of it, but it was really hard to see.

I just de-badged my new Acura, which is also black and you could see a small outline there as well. I just took some M205 and took care of it immediately.

CrispyGP2001
04-08-2016, 08:17 PM
I concourse the compounding will level the area and after short time the sun will do the rest.