PDA

View Full Version : Question on car wraps...

The Driver
03-20-2013, 08:05 AM
How bad are the effects on paint for say 6 months. I got an offer to wrap my dd. being I commute 40+ miles a day I figured I`d wrap, protect it from the elements/harsh tri-state roads an get paid for it. What do you guys think?

TroyScherer
03-20-2013, 08:47 AM
How bad are the effects on paint for say 6 months. I got an offer to wrap my dd. being I commute 40+ miles a day I figured I`d wrap, protect it from the elements/harsh tri-state roads an get paid for it. What do you guys think?

I would think that wraps when done properly are just like a clear bra.

Many guys do a wrap and leave it on for more than a few months.

BobbyG
03-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Personally, I think it`s a great idea!! :bigups

I used to drive to Boston and home at a tune of 110 miles a day and those roads are a death sentence to automotive finishes...

I`m also trying to figure out what your avatar is, it looks like something`s inverted?

tropicsteve
03-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Personally, I think it`s a great idea!! :bigups

I used to drive to Boston and home at a tune of 110 miles a day and those roads are a death sentence to automotive finishes...

I`m also trying to figure out what your avatar is, it looks like something`s inverted?
yeah, it looks like an inverted pic of a foamed vehicle. :)

BobbyG
03-20-2013, 01:42 PM
yeah, it looks like an inverted pic of a foamed vehicle. :)

Now that you mention it Steve I do believe you`re spot on!! :yourrock

07gtcs
03-20-2013, 01:51 PM
A guy in my Mustang Club is a sign guy and he wraps vehicles all the time. His own truck has been wraped since new and the paint looked great when he took it off to change the wrap. I would say it would be a good idea, especially if your paint is preped properly before application.

steeda
03-21-2013, 10:56 PM
A wrap is a great way to protect your car as long as they are using a quality film

The Driver
03-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Now that you mention it Steve I do believe you`re spot on!! :yourrock

You are correct, same as profile pic. It`s a foamed gtr black I did a while a back. Pic uploaded upside down, thought it looked cool so I just left it.

polisher
03-21-2013, 11:44 PM
wrapping is good as long as the OEM colour is unique. Then you dont want to hide it

Merlin
03-22-2013, 04:58 AM
IMHO Some wraps look good and others not so much.
I believe chemical Guys has a spray cleaner just for wraps.

This one for example looked great from 20 feet away...up close it was a wrinkled mess ARGH!
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/merlinhd03/Car%20Shows/2-10-2013-3_zps184c46cb.jpg

Todd@RUPES
03-22-2013, 08:38 AM
I had a wrap on the hood of my Speed3 for over a year and the paint underneath looked identical to the day I put it on. Vehicle wraps are a great way to protect the finish and change the look of your vehicle.

TroyScherer
03-22-2013, 08:43 AM
I had a wrap on the hood of my Speed3 for over a year and the paint underneath looked identical to the day I put it on. Vehicle wraps are a great way to protect the finish and change the look of your vehicle.

I have been considering getting pieces wrapped to make my car "new to me" again...

Thinking: Hood, Spoiler, Roof,

Todd@RUPES
03-22-2013, 08:53 AM
I have been considering getting pieces wrapped to make my car "new to me" again...

Thinking: Hood, Spoiler, Roof,

It is a quick and easy way to customize the appearance without damaging anything. :bigups

Orinda Auto Detail
03-22-2013, 11:45 AM
I love vehicle wraps just dont put it on anything that isn`t factory OEM paint. I say this from experience as I`ve wrapped 20ish cars. Other than that they are awesome!