PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cleaning for Diesel Trucks

GThg3zx
02-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Is there anything to be aware of before cleaning the engine bay on a HD Diesel pickup truck compared to your everyday car...?!

Thank You!!!!!!! :yourrock

GearHead_1
02-27-2013, 04:05 PM
In my experience, I`ve found that it isn`t significantly different from cleaning a gasoline powered engine. Simply said, stay away from any of the electrical components from the starter to alternator, sensors, glow plugs, relays and actuators. This is particularly true if you choose any type of pressure washer. Remember pressure washers can damage (actually ruin) the fins in a radiator (any engine), go slow and be smart. Most of the chemicals that remove the grease and grime on a gas engine will make a dent on diesel engine, it usually just takes more product and more elbow grease to get it clean. The Automotive Strength simple green also works pretty well in this application but as always keep it away from raw aluminum parts, it will etch untreated aluminum.

On really grimy diesels, I`ve actually found that a bit of raw diesel fuel on a stiff paint brush works as a pretty good solvent. Use it sparingly working it in with the brush. It works particularly well on the really black diesel oil crud that may have accumulated on the sides of the block. Keep your distance from the air intake same as the electronics with fluids. Plan on taking a bit more time (they just usually seem to be dirtier than gas engines), it`s more work.

If someone has found other tricks that work I`d be interested in hearing them.

GThg3zx
02-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks so much GearHead!!!! Your comments and help are appreciated.