PDA

View Full Version : A tip to share...emergency scratch removal

Gonzo0903
05-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Emergency scratch removal... a tip to share

Mrs. Gonzo and I just spent a week in lovely Sedona, Arizona. We had a rental car (a white 2004 Dodge Stratus) and before we left the rental car company at Sky Harbor Airport to head to Sedona, I had to do a quick check for any damage to the vehicle. Since the sun had set and the light was fading quickly, I did a quick walk around, signed off on the form and away we went.

The next morning, I did a through walk around and found no damage other than a lot of insect carcasses all over the grille and front bumper fascia (driving through the desert at night is bug city!). A quick trip to a self serve car wash, a towel from the fitness room and a few dollars worth of change got the Stratus nice and clean again.

On Friday, we went out to breakfast and when we got to our car, there was a blue "scuff" on the right rear passenger door.. the type that occurs when someone parks too close to and opens the car door without consideration for the other driver. I had to remove the scuff prior to returning the car at Sky Harbor.

When we got back to our resort condo, I took a damp face cloth and a small dab of Crest toothpaste and gently went over the scuff. After a few minutes of gentle rubbing and wiping, the scuff was gone!

CarGlow
05-09-2004, 10:09 AM
Kool tip.

I`ve heard stories of auto painters compounding vehicles using diminishing abrasives until they got down to compounding with toothpaste.

kimwallace
05-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Toothpaste works well to remove minor scratches in plastic too.
Not the fastest product but it works and is fairly safe.
Use it with a soft cotton cloth or towel

EZ Boy
05-10-2004, 07:41 AM
Does toothpast have a caustic active does the chemical hard yakka? The mild abrasive qualities are certainly useful.

Focusedonsound
05-10-2004, 08:15 AM
The best part about it is.... you don`t have ot worry about the car having any cavities!