PDA

View Full Version : Karr car alarms

Pages : [1] 2

ca.detailchick
01-22-2013, 02:34 PM
I was considering getting a car alarm put in by Toyota and financing it through my lease buyout but after doing some research its not a genuine Toyota alarm .Its a private company that intsalls aftermarket alarms for the dealership and uses Karr alarms.Like pulling teeth to get that information!

Any thoughts on this?

Im inclined not to do it .Ive had lots of trouble with aftermarket car alarms in the past.

BobbyG
01-22-2013, 03:33 PM
I was considering getting a car alarm put in by Toyota and financing it through my lease buyout but after doing some research its not a genuine Toyota alarm .Its a private company that intsalls aftermarket alarms for the dealership and uses Karr alarms.Like pulling teeth to get that information!

Any thoughts on this?

Im inclined not to do it .Ive had lots of trouble with aftermarket car alarms in the past.

It hasn`t failed me yet! :D

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/P229.jpg

ca.detailchick
01-22-2013, 04:27 PM
LOL Bobby . Im not really a gun person,besides I cant watch my van 24 /7 holding a gun !:D

GearHead_1
01-22-2013, 05:42 PM
I for whatever reason can`t seem to post the relevant information that I wanted to post in this thread. I keep getting an error. I have PM`d you that info.

BobbyG
01-22-2013, 05:49 PM
LOL Bobby . Im not really a gun person,besides I cant watch my van 24 /7 holding a gun !:D

I know, I don`t know much about alarms systems so I thought I`d add a bit of humor.....:yourrock Girl!!

BobbyG
01-22-2013, 05:52 PM
I for whatever reason can`t seem to post the relevant information that I wanted to post in this thread. I keep getting an error. I have PM`d you that info.

Occasionally if I`m trying to copy and paste an article from another site I too get the same error. It may have something to do with its format or font but yes, I`ve seen this several times....

GearHead_1
01-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Occasionally if I`m trying to copy and paste an article from another site I too get the same error. It may have something to do with its format or font but yes, I`ve seen this several times....

I`m thinking it had something to do with the URL I was trying to share. Funny thing is that the PM took the exact text that I was getting errors trying to post. Who knows?

Ronkh
01-22-2013, 06:31 PM
It hasn`t failed me yet! :D

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/P229.jpg

Mr Glock never let me down

tropicsteve
01-22-2013, 08:02 PM
DC, you just need a different vehicle. i like the factory installed alarm system on this one.

ca.detailchick
01-23-2013, 02:07 AM
Maybe I should just get an attack dog and have him sleep in my van every night.:D

I spoke with the dealership about all my concerns and he assured me the Karr is a quality alarm. They have been using them for 10 years and in fact for one year ,every new and used vehicle on their lot gets a Karr alarm installed .

The company said it would take about1.5 hours to install.Anyone know if that time frame sounds right?

I dont know, I guess Im going to get it installed and hope Im not making a bad decision!

Wish me luck!

RTexasF
01-23-2013, 05:50 AM
I would check with auto stereo shops that install alarms to compare products and prices. Any time the dealer is involved there is a middleman markup involved. 1.5 - 3 hours is realistic depending on how fancy/smart the system is. I had a basic Viper alarm installed that uses my Toyota keyfob for $200. It sets off both the alarm and the horn if jolted, opened or any window broken. It also disables the ignition so it won`t start. Dealer wanted $450 for the Toyota alarm which had no extra features and added yet another keyfob which I didn`t want.

Beemerboy
01-23-2013, 10:18 AM
I would check with auto stereo shops that install alarms to compare products and prices. Any time the dealer is involved there is a middleman markup involved. 1.5 - 3 hours is realistic depending on how fancy/smart the system is. I had a basic Viper alarm installed that uses my Toyota keyfob for $200. It sets off both the alarm and the horn if jolted, opened or any window broken. It also disables the ignition so it won`t start. Dealer wanted $450 for the Toyota alarm which had no extra features and added yet another keyfob which I didn`t want.

Bingo, go to the third party company that installs alarms..The dealerships are a rip! and the alarms are no far greater than the aftermarket places

ca.detailchick
01-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Yes I am well aware that they are waaaaaaaaay overcharging me .The reason why I am going with them is they are financing it and adding it to my car payment . Its only a few bucks more a month . Plus if something related to the electrical system goes wrong because of the alarm they warranty it .

Good advice though!

Orinda Auto Detail
01-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Hey DC! Don`t over pay for an alarm drive the 4 hours and I`ll hook it up. I would just charge u cost on the system and install it free! Well maybe you can detail my jeep for me while I install since it needs some tlc right now lol.

ca.detailchick
01-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Hey DC! Don`t over pay for an alarm drive the 4 hours and I`ll hook it up. I would just charge u cost on the system and install it free! Well maybe you can detail my jeep for me while I install since it needs some tlc right now lol.
Thanks Jsmooth ! Thats very kind of you!:bigups

But I already signed the papers and sealed the deal this morning.