PDA

View Full Version : Extended warrantys

ca.detailchick
01-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Its official. I bought my leased van yesterday and I will own it in another 6 years.:cool:

I opted for the extended warranty(pricey!). I dont have buyers remorse yet ......:D

Whats everyones luck been with extended warrantys?

It does give me peice of mind for the next 5 years.

Im not even going to tell you what I paid for it but I will say my payments are still under 300 a month, so Im happy!:rockon

mjlinane
01-08-2013, 02:55 PM
When they told me I had 63 computers in the car, I bought the extended warranty without hesitation.

ihaveacamaro
01-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Its official. I bought my leased van yesterday and I will own it in another 6 years.:cool:

I opted for the extended warranty(pricey!). I dont have buyers remorse yet ......:D

Im not even going to tell you what I paid for it but I will say my payments are still under 300 a month, so Im happy!:rockon

I got an extended warranty for 5 years and 70,000 miles additional on top of my 3 year bumper-to-bumper so my total warranty came out to 8 years and 106,000 miles. I paid around $3500 for the GM Performance Plan (their version of the extended warranty). Roadside assistance, towing, and most things are covered. It is pricey, but it was the only plan that would cover so long after original purchase date.

I`ve used the towing and roadside assistance already so it has been helpful. We will see in the coming years if the $3500 will balance itself out, but I figure if the ECM goes or the A/C malfunctions, the price will balance itself out in one go.

skibik
01-08-2013, 06:09 PM
I have only bought extended warranty on a couple items and never on a car. Last one was TV and of course the lamp didn`t blow until after the warranty ran out.

Now, I have heard some horror stories but then it has been hearsay. It depends on if it is a private one backing the warranty and hopefully they don`t go under before you get to use it. I would not have a problem buying it but don`t think GM offers extended warranty and it is usually a private or a different company that offers it.

Dean. :)

BobbyG
01-08-2013, 06:48 PM
I have one, 10 years bumper to bumper......:bigups

ihaveacamaro
01-08-2013, 07:12 PM
I have only bought extended warranty on a couple items and never on a car. Last one was TV and of course the lamp didn`t blow until after the warranty ran out.

Now, I have heard some horror stories but then it has been hearsay. It depends on if it is a private one backing the warranty and hopefully they don`t go under before you get to use it. I would not have a problem buying it but don`t think GM offers extended warranty and it is usually a private or a different company that offers it.

Dean. :)

GMPP is GM`s extended warranty General Motors Protection Plan - Home Page (http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/)

tropicsteve
01-08-2013, 08:07 PM
if you have the extra money and do a lot of driving, i say go for it. a friend of mine bought an extended warranty for a harley he had a few years ago. he did a lot of touring and racked up the miles. that warranty paid for itself with one major service and he had several come up one after the other. i never seemed to have the extra funds around so i just made sure i did all the preventive maintenance i could.

DHCrocks
01-08-2013, 08:49 PM
they say extended warranty is for suckers and it`s a bad buy.

I`ve always passed on them in the past and I don`t think I would have ever had one pay for itself in the past. Never had a repair come in over the cost of the plan. BUT....in my last car purchase I took the plunge and dropped $3100 for 8 years, 120,000 mi elite protection plan from the manufacture. The way I see it now is that all these new computer controlled systems and features will easily pay for the insurance should one go down. I`ve heard that the active rear system alone is over $3500 to replace should it go out and it seems like a few people have had issues with these things.

Just make sure you get a plan from the maufacture and not a 3rd party or dealer warranty. I`ve heard horror stories of people trying to get coverage from a long gone company or dealer that has changed hands. At least you know the manufacture will still be around (hopefully they will...talking to you suzuki and mitsubishi).

ca.detailchick
01-09-2013, 01:30 PM
I am glad to see other people who have paid for extended warrantys .It almost makes you want something to go wrong so you get your moneys worth!

Ive seen plenty of vehicles have things and sometimes major go wrong just after the 3 year warranty is up .Plus Ive seemed to have incredibly bad luck withthe vehicles in the past so I feel it was the right decision for me.

Orinda Auto Detail
01-09-2013, 01:38 PM

I always buy the warranty. My lexus warranty was like 3k but it paid for for self 5 times over with just little stupid stuff. Window switch goes out 500$, Main CPU fried 4500$, Air bag sensor 1600$, Alternator 6 times( Had nothing to do with the massive sound system ) 750$ a pop. All covered under warranty. I had to argue the alternator one a little but the dealer I went to almost killed me once so they were pretty nice considering I didn`t sue the crap out of them when my steering wheel did a 360 and quit working. So Yes to warranties!

ca.detailchick
01-09-2013, 02:08 PM
I always buy the warranty. My lexus warranty was like 3k but it paid for for self 5 times over with just little stupid stuff. Window switch goes out 500$, Main CPU fried 4500$, Air bag sensor 1600$, Alternator 6 times( Had nothing to do with the massive sound system ) 750$ a pop. All covered under warranty. I had to argue the alternator one a little but the dealer I went to almost killed me once so they were pretty nice considering I didn`t sue the crap out of them when my steering wheel did a 360 and quit working. So Yes to warranties!WOW!!:wow:

Im really sorry you had so many troubles but its these kind of stories I want to hear about!

Im feeling better about the cost too as mine was just under 2,000!

I just found out I have roadside assistance and lodging if needed an rent a car, so Im feeling even better about it!

PS. Sounds like my Chevy van,my alternator would crap out every 6 months or so.Luckily I had an ammeter I kept a close eye on so I never broke down anywhere.

Orinda Auto Detail
01-09-2013, 06:03 PM
WOW!!:wow:

Im really sorry you had so many troubles but its these kind of stories I want to hear about!

Im feeling better about the cost too as mine was just under 2,000!

I just found out I have roadside assistance and lodging if needed an rent a car, so Im feeling even better about it!

PS. Sounds like my Chevy van,my alternator would crap out every 6 months or so.Luckily I had an ammeter I kept a close eye on so I never broke down anywhere.
Its cool most of it was my fault . I beat the crap out of cars. I take care of them but I do not hesitate to beat them to death either(Reason why its important for me to have a warranty) . I have 14 videos on my phone of me doing like 130-150 in that car! I went through a set of tires every 5k miles. So probably my fault stuff kept happening to it. This is also the reason my GF won`t let me buy a GT-R :( She said it was cool if I gave her my Jeep. I said deal a dragged to dealer ASAP. Then we went on a test drive..... I didn`t beat on the car at all I knew better, but she wanted to drive it too... That where I quickly had my hopes and dreams crushed "You`ll die with this car ITS TO FAST" And at the thought of not getting "any" and sleeping on the couch or possibly in that car for the next year I didn`t buy it.. But if I did I would of bought the warranty!

ca.detailchick
01-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Its cool most of it was my fault . I beat the crap out of cars. I take care of them but I do not hesitate to beat them to death either(Reason why its important for me to have a warranty) . I have 14 videos on my phone of me doing like 130-150 in that car! I went through a set of tires every 5k miles. So probably my fault stuff kept happening to it. This is also the reason my GF won`t let me buy a GT-R :( She said it was cool if I gave her my Jeep. I said deal a dragged to dealer ASAP. Then we went on a test drive..... I didn`t beat on the car at all I knew better, but she wanted to drive it too... That where I quickly had my hopes and dreams crushed "You`ll die with this car ITS TO FAST" And at the thought of not getting "any" and sleeping on the couch or possibly in that car for the next year I didn`t buy it.. But if I did I would of bought the warranty!
I have to say I agree with her !No sports cars for you !:D

ca.detailchick
01-09-2013, 08:51 PM
I forgot to mention the best part is Im not paying anything for my warranty . I raised my rates so my customers are paying for the extra 30 bucks a month its costing me!:excited:

Nizmo
01-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Extended warranties are a hit and miss thing IMO. I bought one for the truck and SUV and haven`t had to use them. I could have pocketed the expense and saved it for when something did break. Its kind of put me into a bind because I`m looking to trade the truck but I`m in the hole, you guessed it, the amount of the warranty.