PDA

View Full Version : buying a new car need some advice

Dakota1820
01-04-2013, 04:13 PM
hello all, I am in the market to buy a midsize car. i currently own a 93 f150 a 98 saturn sl2 and a 95 sl2 (the wifes car) we arr selling her car and buying a newer bigger car for the growing family. we currently have a 2 yr old son and we have a baby girl due in may. My wife will be getting my saturn since it has 211,000 and she does not drive to much. I drive 20-30k a year so i will be getting the car with less miles. I plan on spending about 4000-5000 on a car. what kinda car would you recommend? thanks guys. remember two kids their "stuff" and two adults has to fit and decent mileage would be good. :):yourrock

RTexasF
01-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Frankly look at everything in the price range that might work. An older Crown Vic would be hard to beat, even a cop car.

tropicsteve
01-04-2013, 08:51 PM
i think it`s more important to find a ride that the owner has taken care of over the years if possible. i`ve been a ford guy over the years but would really like to try out a honda or subaru, i`ve always heard good things about them.

Dakota1820
01-04-2013, 08:57 PM
i plan to be very picky. i will only buy a car with clean carfax and maintenance records. i have considered a Taurus but i am skeptical of the reliability i have heard mixed reviews.

Todd@RUPES
01-05-2013, 05:42 AM
I think in this case, when you are on a budget, your best bet is going to be were the maximum value is. Find a nice, well maintained vehicle that belonged to a little old lady (or something similar). While you obviously want something that will fit your gear (kids and family stuff) a perfectly maintained brand A is going to be beat a poorly taken care of brand B.

Dakota1820
01-05-2013, 06:02 PM
well let me ask this for 4000-5000
what should i expect to find shape and miles wise on ford taurus and a toyota camry. those are the two types of car i am really considering.

RTexasF
01-05-2013, 06:54 PM
i plan to be very picky. i will only buy a car with clean carfax and maintenance records. i have considered a Taurus but i am skeptical of the reliability i have heard mixed reviews.

That might be too much to ask considering the price range. A used car dealer might provide a carfax but maintenance records? Not likely. A private owner might have maint. records but you`ll need to pay for a carfax.

For $4-5K eliminate the obvious garbage and look closely at what`s left. Plan on putting money into it no matter what it is of how good a shape it`s in.

Dakota1820
01-05-2013, 07:05 PM
I will be probably buying from a private owner. Also I will do the carfax it just has to come back good and cars in Missouri are somewhat cheaper than most places.

Todd@RUPES
01-07-2013, 08:36 AM
That might be too much to ask considering the price range. A used car dealer might provide a carfax but maintenance records? Not likely. A private owner might have maint. records but you`ll need to pay for a carfax.

For $4-5K eliminate the obvious garbage and look closely at what`s left. Plan on putting money into it no matter what it is of how good a shape it`s in.

Excellent and sound advice.

Your best bet will be to find something that is good shape and go from there. I have seen a couple of nice Town Cars and Crown Vics that little-old-ladies are selling for a fairly reasonable amount.

Dogfather
01-07-2013, 02:35 PM
I might look at `02, `01 Outbacks. Accords or Camrys if you want a sedan..

Todd@RUPES
01-07-2013, 03:49 PM
My neighbor just bought a 2010 Corolla with 9k miles for $4500. That is a HUGE deal, but they are out there.

Dakota1820
01-08-2013, 09:14 PM
well today i test drove a 2000 with the v6 it was in decent shape but did have some imperfections. the car had trac control. i turned it off at a light a punched it and holy crap that camry flat roasted tires!!! i was impressed. i didn`t have time to drive the 2000 accord v6 but it looked easier to work on. i did drive a 4cyl accord. the steering was very buttery but to much so . car rode good power was ok but not impressive. it was barely enough. and the interior on the honda is more pleasant to look at but i will be honest and say the taurus i drove a week ago had better steering wheel feel i thought.